- Decreases muscle tension
- Gives the heart a rest by slowing the heart rate
- Increases blood flow to the muscles
- Slows the rate of breathing, which reduces the need for oxygen
- Less overall pain
- More energy
- More even emotional state - i.e. less anger, crying, anxiety, frustration
- Better sleep
- Greater efficiency, more productivity
- Enhanced immunity
- Better problem-solving skills
- Increased concentration - better able to focus
If anything - even my relaxation routine - gets too complicated, chances are I will not continue. My personal relaxation routine is very simple indeed. One power nap - every afternoon at 2pm. I sleep one hour. I do not set an alarm. I've always awakened at 3pm. I feel great for the rest of the day! I'm more productive and a very happy camper with this routine.
I reached out to my wonderful friends in my facebook group to ask how they incorporate relaxation into their lives. These are ways to relax that are simple and anyone can do them:
- Listen to music or a guided meditation CD
- Walk along the beach (by the ocean)
- Take a power nap
- Horseback riding
- Breathe deep and relax with the breath
- Gently stretch
- Lie down and rest at some point in the day
- Take a soothing bath - incorporate some aromatherapy
- Have your wonderful partner give you a massage (with the intent of returning the favor, of course)
Life is full of stressful situations and one of the best defenses we have against all the outward pressures is relaxation. Every day it's important to just stop and "be". It's okay if you feel foolish doing that at first. Trust me, the more you purposefully stop and "be", the easier it becomes. Pretty soon, you will wonder how you ever got through the day not doing it.
When I was a kid, I had a real problem taking an afternoon nap. I fought going to bed tooth and nail. Today, I can honestly say - when 2pm rolls around, I'm curling up in my bed saying bye bye to the cruel world for one hour of blissful escape into dreamland. I love my afternoon nap - my relaxation!
Power nap guided relaxation. Ahh...
Today is NATIONAL INSPIRE YOUR HEART WITH ART DAY!!!!!!!!!!!! What could be more relaxing than art appreciation? Whether it's paintings in an art gallery or a concert at the local hall, art has a way of speaking to the heart like nothing else. Let some art inspire your heart today!