DISCLAIMER:

live with physical challenges.
I am NOT a DOCTOR!!! I don't even play one on TV!!! It is my goal to live a more healthy lifestyle. Living well and being happy is what this blog is all about.

"Nothing,' wrote Tolstoy, 'can make our life, or the lives of other people, more
beautiful than perpetual kindness."

- Gretchen Rubin




I write about my own experiences and what works (or does not) for me. Nothing I write is to be taken as medical advice.

Only your health care provider, personal physician,Disclaimer:
I am not a doctor - I don't even play one on TV! This
or pharmacist can provide you with advice on what is safe and effective for your unique needs.








Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Wellness A-Z: J = Journey with Anticipation


J=Journey with Anticipation
My physical body was a wreck. I was not taking good care of myself and in return my body was not being kind to me. I dreaded getting up in the morning and frankly if I didn't wake up - it would have been fine. The physical un-wellness had manifested itself in some psychological ways as well. I didn't think anyone liked me (let alone loved me), I never thought I was worth anything and mirrors became taboo in my life. Up to the point when I was diagnosed, I was in major depression and in complete denial about my downward spiral.  I mastered the art of the fake smile and phony laugh.

You need to listen to your body because your body is listening to you. 
- Dr. Phil McGraw

When the fight or flight response is inevitable - when you have no choice but to choose one, and you know you really cannot choose flight - I mean, you have a diagnosis of Type 2 Diabetes staring at you - where will you fly to?  You can't escape it - although I've seen newly diagnosed patients who give it a try!  They find very creative ways of sinking into denial.  I'm so thankful I had the presence of mind to realize this is not a diagnosis I had the ability to escape.  I had to fight it the best way I could.  And fight I have done - and fight I will continue to do!

You cannot be who and what you are unless you have a lifestyle, both internally and externally, that is designed to support that definition of self.
- Dr. Phil McGraw


There comes a point during the battle when you sort of ease into the routine and you sense a sort of anticipation about life that you lacked before.  In my case, I was so sick (and evidently did not realize just how bad I felt) and when I began to feel better, it was like a blindfold had been removed from my eyes!  Life was no longer a chore to be done every day - there was some joy inside me for the first time in a very long time!  I began to journey with anticipation!  I looked forward to each new day with brand new enthusiasm!

I love life today!  I smile for no reason.  I laugh for no reason.  I feel great and I'm happy for the first time in a very long time!  Today I look forward to my future and more joy in my journey!  Bring it on!  

A few years ago, I was listening to Dr. Phil on TV.  He was counseling a couple about their rocky marriage and asked both of them, "How much fun are you to live with?"  I asked myself that question and I was really ashamed of the answer.  I had to admit I was absolutely NO fun to live with - none!  I've made some great strides since that time, I'm happy to say!  Today I am a lot more fun to live with.  I became a better role model for the kids I taught, I became a better co-worker, I became a better wife, and I became a better friend.

Awareness without action is worthless.  - Dr. Phil McGraw

When you make the decision to take care of yourself, everything else falls into its proper place.  I have a great journey ahead of me - and I don't want it to be something I just have to go through with a sense of gloom hanging over me.  I want to journey with a sense of wonder - with anticipation!  Tomorrow is very exciting to me now.  Let's DO this!

Anticipation - it's a GOOD thing!!!

http://youtu.be/JTC5e4aIAgU

Today is NATIONAL HANDWRITING DAY!!!!!!!!!  Spend some time today practicing your handwriting.  Good penmanship is a lost art these days, since we have computers and usually type most of our correspondence.  Your handwriting tells a lot about your personality.  It matters whether you have good handwriting or not.  And yes, spelling counts!  **wink**




 




No comments: