DISCLAIMER:

live with physical challenges.
I am NOT a DOCTOR!!! I don't even play one on TV!!! It is my goal to live a more healthy lifestyle. Living well and being happy is what this blog is all about.

"Nothing,' wrote Tolstoy, 'can make our life, or the lives of other people, more
beautiful than perpetual kindness."

- Gretchen Rubin




I write about my own experiences and what works (or does not) for me. Nothing I write is to be taken as medical advice.

Only your health care provider, personal physician,Disclaimer:
I am not a doctor - I don't even play one on TV! This
or pharmacist can provide you with advice on what is safe and effective for your unique needs.








Saturday, January 19, 2013

Wellness A-Z: F = Feel for Real


F=Feel for Real
There are certain events in life that automatically put our emotions on a roller coaster of sorts.  I call these "large life situations".  My very first one was when I entered high school.  It scared me to go into such a large building and know that I was a mere Freshman.  It felt a little more like being the "fresh meat", as I recall.  Then I experienced the same sort of anxiety going off to college.  I had reason to because I really got lost and did not do well at all. 

Marriage is another opportunity to lose your emotional stronghold.  There are so many adjustments to be made and it's easy to lose your own identity for the sake of your spouse.  His needs and wants come first, therefore, you lose a part of yourself.  It's something you do willingly because you love someone. 

It's taken me a long time to finally learn this lesson, but it's alright to feel what you feel.  It's not alright to dump a sad story on others, but it's perfectly alright to validate your feelings instead of stuffing them with pizza or whatever else you can find.  These days, if I'm sad - then I'm sad.  I don't find food and try to compensate for feelings anymore.  When I feel sad - I acknowledge I feel sad and I cry it out.  I deal with emotional issues - emotionally instead of physically.  What a concept!

Overcoming emotional eating is much like overcoming any other addiction.  My weakness will never be completely gone.  There will always be a temptation to reach for food when I'm sad, stressed, upset or angry.  The fact that I am now aware of my behavior is a large part of changing my behavior!  For years I would just mindlessly reach for a cupcake or something when I was stressed, upset, sad or angry.  I've learned that part of true wellness is the ability to think about your behaviors and control what you are doing.  Now I ask myself, "Is this behavior in the best interest of my overall wellness?"  I'd love to tell you that the answer is always "yes" - but that would not be true.

It's not a good idea to flat out deny any feelings.  I'm not suggesting that you have a crying jag in the middle of a restaurant if you feel sad.  There are appropriate behaviors in certain situations.  I am, however, suggesting that you not stuff those sad feelings with comfort foods in the hope that you will feel better.  Continue to eat healthy food, no matter how you are feeling.  Validate your feelings and deal with them emotionally.  Cry.  Talk to a good friend (make sure it really is a good friend and not someone who just wants the "scoop").  Seek a qualified counselor if you need to - but know how to keep yourself from stuffing those feelings with food. 

Food is not going to repress the feelings for very long - and it will just make you feel worse when you gain weight.  You'll end up being even more upset and angry with yourself for making the wrong choice.  It's an awful cycle! 

Don't reward yourself with food...  you're not a DOG!
Don't punish yourself with food...  you're more precious than you think you are!

How to overcome emotional eating.

http://youtu.be/X_ryIDTbiKc


A friend of mine is visiting the United States from the United Kingdom.  He made the observation that we as Americans seem to be obsessed with popcorn!  He was amazed at the selection of popcorn we have on our grocery store shelves!  I had to laugh because I guess it's just something I grew up with and never noticed before!  Today just happens to be NATIONAL POPCORN DAY!!!!!   Enjoy!!! 












No comments: