DISCLAIMER:

live with physical challenges.
I am NOT a DOCTOR!!! I don't even play one on TV!!! It is my goal to live a more healthy lifestyle. Living well and being happy is what this blog is all about.

"Nothing,' wrote Tolstoy, 'can make our life, or the lives of other people, more
beautiful than perpetual kindness."

- Gretchen Rubin




I write about my own experiences and what works (or does not) for me. Nothing I write is to be taken as medical advice.

Only your health care provider, personal physician,Disclaimer:
I am not a doctor - I don't even play one on TV! This
or pharmacist can provide you with advice on what is safe and effective for your unique needs.








Monday, January 21, 2013

Wellness A-Z: H = Hold on to the Hope Rope

H=Hold on to the Hope Rope
Wish I could do that!!!
Remember having to climb that rope in gym class when you were a kid?  Well, I was the kid who couldn't climb up - I could not pull myself off of the knot, to be honest.  A kid in my class, Craig Hodges, could climb that rope and touch the metal at the very top and fly back down again.  That kid was part monkey!  I'd love to have a conversation with him now.  Ah - I'll bet he could still climb that rope!  

I see my supply of hope as a rope - my rope of hope.  Every day it's my goal to maintain wellness.  I begin my day on my hope rope.  I feel the knot underneath my feet.  I'm not satisfied to stay there though.  I need to climb until I can reach up and touch the metal piece at the top.  Every time I make a good choice, drink lemon water, take a walk, ride my bike, eat healthy foods, have a good attitude and get plenty of sleep - I've inched up that rope toward the metal piece at the top.  

When you try something new and fail, hope is the voice that whispers in your ear and reassures you that you don't have to quit completely - it's okay to try one more time.   - Linda Turner Palmer

But there are some days when I start out good - feet firmly planted on the knot.  I inch up a little bit and then something happens and I lose my grip just a little bit - and I slip.  I'm not all the way back to the knot, but I'm not climbing any higher.  That's when my hope rope whispers that it's just a temporary setback and I can keep going in the right direction if I just begin making better choices again.

It's an amazing visualization.  I've used it for a long while and it's difficult to explain why it works, but it does.  

To have a constant feeling of hope inside makes all the difference in your attitude toward anything, and ultimately in your final result!  Even if you fail completely, it's never too late to start again, wiser for having at least tried.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.

- Samuel Beckett
 
Failure is defined as quitting completely.  Giving up.  Throwing in the towel permanently.  As long as you keep getting up, dusting yourself off and making yet another attempt at success - you are not a failure!
To have the hope rope to hang on to has made such a difference.  I have more successful days now because I have hope on my side.  I have stopped quitting and have referred to setbacks as "detours in my journey" - they are not dead end roads, they are just little side streets I turn and drive down once in a while.  I find my way back to the main road eventually and life goes on!

Got Attitude???

http://youtu.be/lWUWuRFYSSM

 
Today is SQUIRREL APPRECIATION DAY!!!!!!!!!!  These cute little critters provide hours of entertainment, especially in the fall and winter months!  Today is the day we need to take a moment to show them we appreciate their efforts!  Take a moment to put some food out or just spend a few minutes watching them in your back yard. 

No comments: