DISCLAIMER:

live with physical challenges.
I am NOT a DOCTOR!!! I don't even play one on TV!!! It is my goal to live a more healthy lifestyle. Living well and being happy is what this blog is all about.

"Nothing,' wrote Tolstoy, 'can make our life, or the lives of other people, more
beautiful than perpetual kindness."

- Gretchen Rubin




I write about my own experiences and what works (or does not) for me. Nothing I write is to be taken as medical advice.

Only your health care provider, personal physician,Disclaimer:
I am not a doctor - I don't even play one on TV! This
or pharmacist can provide you with advice on what is safe and effective for your unique needs.








Sunday, January 27, 2013

Wellness A-Z: N = Nutrition will Nourish

N=Nutrition will Nourish
People scoff at this notion all the time.  When I hear the half-laughs and see the rolling eyes, I have one simple remark to make:  test my theory!  Sometimes I am asked, "Ok - what do I have to do along with eating healthier foods?"  My answer to that is "Nothing - just eat raw for one week and then come back and we'll discuss how much better you feel."  

Most people are not willing to give clean eating a try - but a few have actually taken me up on the challenge.  At the end of the week, we talk again - and these people are truly amazed at how much better they feel!  Some people even report some weight loss in that short amount of time.  I ask if they increased their exercise.  Most tell me they did not even begin to exercise - they just lost the weight because of the change in eating habits.

It's sort of funny, because a lot of people tell me they feel sorry for me because I can't eat like everyone else does - because of my Type 2 Diabetes.  Well, the fact is, I'm eating the way everyone should strive to eat!  People who are not diabetic can still have such issues as high blood pressure or high cholesterol.  Everyone should keep a close eye on what they eat - and how much.  Although, truth be told, if you are eating the right foods - the quantity really becomes a non-issue.  The better a food is for your body, the more of it you can eat.

Honestly, I'm kind of glad I have Type 2 Diabetes!  It's really more of an added incentive for me than anything else.  If I did not have it, then I may not be as diligent as I am.  Since I want to maintain good health just as long as possible, I am more careful.  I'm glad I have to be more careful.  I'm not suffering because I no longer sit in front of the TV with a bag of chips!  That is not something I grieve, or wish I could do again.  Mindless snacking was once a part of my routine, but it has not been part of my life for quite a while now!  I'm so much happier and healthier without it!

Making good food choices is so beneficial in so many ways.  My mind is sharper than ever, my wit is keen and quick (which I love), I laugh more because I feel so much better, I'm more confident in my own skin.  I'll never be a skinny Minnie, but that's ok.  I know I'm doing all the right things and my body will be just what it's supposed to be as a result.  My health has returned.  My A1c is very happy.  I have a real sense of accomplishment and I'm proud of my success.  It's truly my passion to spread the good news about this one simple step - nutrition!

If you are still addicted to processed foods - stuff in bags and boxes, the nasty nitrates from the processed meats, and the soda - I invite you to take this simple challenge.  Replace all of that with good fresh vegetables and lemon water.  Buy organic if you can, but if you can't it's still alright.  Find some really good recipes - but keep in mind that they should not be cooked to death.  To cook vegetables to death is literally to kill the nutrition in them!  Steam for just a little while - they should still be crunchy when they're done.  I enjoy raw vegetables with just a little yogurt dip.  Right now I have a bunch of broccoli in the fridge with my name on it.  I'm looking forward to my morning snack!

There are tons of green smoothie recipes online.  Find one you think you'd like and try your hand at juicing.  Incorporate fresh vegetables into your diet and pitch the junk food for one week.  Give it a week and I promise you will consider making it a lifestyle.  You will feel so very GOOD!  Stay happy and healthy!

I like this green smoothie - it's got some "sweet" to it.

http://youtu.be/eXr8-jru1KE







 

No comments: