DISCLAIMER:

live with physical challenges.
I am NOT a DOCTOR!!! I don't even play one on TV!!! It is my goal to live a more healthy lifestyle. Living well and being happy is what this blog is all about.

"Nothing,' wrote Tolstoy, 'can make our life, or the lives of other people, more
beautiful than perpetual kindness."

- Gretchen Rubin




I write about my own experiences and what works (or does not) for me. Nothing I write is to be taken as medical advice.

Only your health care provider, personal physician,Disclaimer:
I am not a doctor - I don't even play one on TV! This
or pharmacist can provide you with advice on what is safe and effective for your unique needs.








Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Wellness A-Z: P=Personal Best

P=Personal Best
In years past, I spent an inordinate amount of time wishing I was someone else.  I didn't have a desire to be anyone in particular (well, Audrey Hepburn comes to mind), but I knew I did not want to be me.  I did not want PCOS, I did not want to carry so much extra weight around, and I certainly did not want to be part of the diabetes club! 

At my lowest point I began to play mind games.  Once in a while I would see some nice looking woman and say to myself, "You know, if God would ask me to trade bodies with her, I'd say yes!"  Sometimes I still catch myself having those sorts of thoughts, but not as often.  I'm me.  I'm not anyone else.  I will never be a size 0.  I will never dislike chocolate in any form.  I am Linda - and nobody can be Linda better than me!

My great concern is not whether you have failed, but whether you are content with your failure.  - Abraham Lincoln

Do I still have these health issues?  Well, of course - but the difference is, now I am at peace with it.  I accept the PCOS and all the unpleasant and heartbreaking challenges.  I accept the Type 2 Diabetes and those frightening challenges.  By accept, I do not mean I am giving in to the challenges.  I mean I know it's going to be an uphill climb, but I can and will make the journey toward wellness.  Will it be easy?  No.  Nothing worth having is ever easy.

This journey is not about becoming someone else.  It's about becoming a better version of myself.  When I take care of myself - i.e. choose to make my physical and mental health a priority - then I'm better equipped to care for others.  It's easy to put your own needs on the shelf in order to care for others.  But the truth is, if you take care of yourself the way you should, you'll be better for them. 

The curious paradox is that when I accept myself just as I am, then I can change.  - Carl Rogers

Don't let anyone tell you that taking care of yourself is selfish.  Self-care is crucial and not selfish at all.  It's important - especially if you are battling a chronic disease.  Here's another way to think about it:  If you don't take care of yourself, who willIndeed!  The wellness "ball" is in your court.  What will you do with it?

Jim Rohn on Personal Best.  Get the most from every day! 

http://youtu.be/mnk-pzUAehs
    

Today is NATIONAL PUZZLE DAY!!!!!!!  If you enjoy doing puzzles then today is the day to start one!  If puzzles are not your thing, then you can just spend the day trying to figure some people out - because there are some folks who are a real puzzle to get to know!




No comments: