DISCLAIMER:

live with physical challenges.
I am NOT a DOCTOR!!! I don't even play one on TV!!! It is my goal to live a more healthy lifestyle. Living well and being happy is what this blog is all about.

"Nothing,' wrote Tolstoy, 'can make our life, or the lives of other people, more
beautiful than perpetual kindness."

- Gretchen Rubin




I write about my own experiences and what works (or does not) for me. Nothing I write is to be taken as medical advice.

Only your health care provider, personal physician,Disclaimer:
I am not a doctor - I don't even play one on TV! This
or pharmacist can provide you with advice on what is safe and effective for your unique needs.








Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Wellness A-Z: X=Xenophobia is Unhealthy

Xenophobia is an unreasonable fear, distrust, or hatred of strangers, foreigners, or anything perceived as foreign or different.

X=Xenophobia is Unhealthy
So, what does xenophobia have to do with wellness?  I'm glad you asked.

Have you ever heard the old saying, "You can't teach an old dog new tricks"?  When some people are exposed to the idea of an alkaline lifestyle, it's a lot to take in all at once - and a type of xenophobia sets in.  The concept of change in their lifestyle is overwhelming, and to be honest, at first - they don't want to change eating habits or incorporate moderate activity.  It seems like a complete lifestyle upset to them. 

Even after you explain all the wonderful health benefits of eating the right foods, hydrating with water, getting plenty of exercise and sleeping 8 hours every night, some folks just have a resounding stubbornness about such radical change. 

The world as we have created it is a process of our thinking. It cannot be changed without changing our thinking.  - Albert Einstein

I openly admit here and now that I would not have been so quick to embrace an alkaline lifestyle if I had not had my back against the wall health-wise!  I mean, get real - who in their right mind is going to willfully choose a bowl of sliced red, orange and yellow bell peppers for a snack over a small bag of chips? 

Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.  - Nelson Mandela

Sometimes you just have to lean on your knowledge to overcome the urge to eat something that would admittedly taste better.  There are things I know in my mind, but as a professed emotional eater (I was going to say former emotional eater, but just as an alcoholic is always addicted - so am I), it's a great temptation to eat more acidic foods, especially if I'm eating due to an emotional upheaval of some sort.

There is a certain amount of fear involved in any change you make.  If you say there is not, you are not telling the truth.

We are taught you must blame your father, your sisters, your brothers, the school, the teachers - but never blame yourself. It's never your fault. But it's always your fault, because if you wanted to change you're the one who has got to change.  - Katharine Hepburn, Me: Stories of My Life 

I would especially emphasize to Type 2 Diabetics the importance of at least considering a change in lifestyle.  Since I've adopted this new radical lifestyle, my HbA1c has been completely normal and I'm no longer on insulin.  I've reversed kidney damage and gum disease.  My neuropathy has not gotten worse.  Of course, the humbling portion of that statement is, if I ever choose to return to my old eating habits and stop exercising, the disease would steadily progress and I would most assuredly be put back on insulin and the future would look quite dim.

Destiny is not a matter of chance; it is a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved.  - William Jennings Bryan

It may be a frightening thought to completely reconstruct your life in this way.  I can only tell you that I experienced a bit of xenophobia about it at first - and I literally grieved the loss of my old lifestyle in the beginning.  Then as time went on, it got easier to eat healthier foods, drink lemon water, rest often and exercise a half hour every day.  I keep hearing it takes 21 days to create a habit.  So, I challenge you to give this lifestyle 21 days.  See if you don't look and feel fantastic.  I'll bet you will!!! 

If you add one alkaline food to your diet every week - that's 52 foods you will have added to your diet.  If you can maintain a 60/40 alkaline/acidic ratio at first then build to an 80/20 alkaline/acidic ratio per day.  The goal is to eat 80% alkaline foods every day - but keep in mind, you can still have that 20% acidic.  I still enjoy a cup of coffee in the morning (which is acidic) with cream (which is also acidic).  After coffee, I switch to lemon water for the rest of the day.  An alkaline lifestyle does not mean replacing your acidic foods, but adding to them.  It is a ratio you maintain every day - no denial of any foods - just balance.  Subtraction equals denial, but addition equals abundance.  Instead of experiencing xenophobia, you're instead left feeling satisfied. 

There's no need to have an unreasonable fear of an alkaline lifestyle.  All you have to do is add foods on to whatever you are currently eating.  Sounds good to me!  This is doable!

http://youtu.be/xFez3RlUOnQ



Today is NATIONAL FROZEN YOGURT DAY!!!!!!!!!  Enjoy your favorite flavor with wild abandon today.  I like the low-fat variety myself. 

   










No comments: