DISCLAIMER:

live with physical challenges.
I am NOT a DOCTOR!!! I don't even play one on TV!!! It is my goal to live a more healthy lifestyle. Living well and being happy is what this blog is all about.

"Nothing,' wrote Tolstoy, 'can make our life, or the lives of other people, more
beautiful than perpetual kindness."

- Gretchen Rubin




I write about my own experiences and what works (or does not) for me. Nothing I write is to be taken as medical advice.

Only your health care provider, personal physician,Disclaimer:
I am not a doctor - I don't even play one on TV! This
or pharmacist can provide you with advice on what is safe and effective for your unique needs.








Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Wellness A-Z: W=Water with a Lemon


W=Water with a Lemon
Proper hydration is vital for overall health and wellbeing.  I could stop there - short and sweet, but if I did that you would think I was losing my touch, and I certainly would NOT want you to think that!  So, I will elaborate!  Add fresh lemon juice to warm water every morning before breakfast.  Yes, lemon juice in water is beneficial to cells and good for pain management.

Lemon water is a great cleanse for the liver.  Years ago, I suffered from "liverish migraines".  Mama used to refer to them as "sick headaches".  Basically, I was allergic to MSG, nitrates and things of that nature that would build up and become toxic in my liver.  The way I dealt with these headaches was sad for a long time.  I found a very dark room and slept them off like a hangover, basically.  Then the headaches got more frequent and more intense.  I knew my doctor was not going to do much for me, so I decided to do some research on my own.

Lemon is an excellent stimulant to the liver.   It liquefies the bile and helps control excess bile flow (which is the cause of the migraines).  I found the answer to keeping my liver happy!  Am I a great detective, or what?

Along with giving up most processed foods such as lunch meats (which contain high sodium content, MSG and nitrates), I began to drink warm lemon water before breakfast, much like hot tea.  The headaches literally stopped.  I have not had a "sick headache" in years!  Is it worth keeping some fresh lemons on hand in the kitchen and squeezing a little into a cup of warm water every day?  Oh - you bet!  I drink warm lemon water every morning.  It works like a charm!

I also drink room temperature lemon water throughout the day.  Lemons, though tart, are actually one of the most alkalizing foods for the body.  We all know the importance of hydration - so lemon water is a win/win. 

This fact appeals to my vanity.  Vitamin C and other antioxidants in lemons combat free radical damage.  Drinking lemon water has cleared my complexion completely.  This was a very pleasant side-effect and totally unexpected.  I used to have acne scars on my face and they are almost completely gone.  I used to be shy and not want to look at people, but I'm much more outgoing now.  

The wonders of lemon water do not end there.  The vitamin C also promotes wound healing and helps keep the immune system strong and healthy.  It has anti-inflammatory properties which help keep the aging process at bay.  That's good news - for sure!  Hey, at my age, I'll take all the help I can get!

Water is a basic need.  It's a real shame that it has been replaced in our society by substitutes such as soda or even most juices.  Nothing can hydrate your body better than water - and the way to trump that winner is to squeeze a little fresh lemon juice in it!  It's refreshing and hydrating.  You will see and feel a difference.  Give it a try!

Warm lemon water is so beneficial.  Yeah, this is what I do - but I remove the seeds from the lemon before I sqeeze the juice out.  Um...  yeah.

http://youtu.be/P6zSCxcGDBM



Today is NATIONAL WEATHERMAN'S DAY!!!!!!!!!  I'm planning to contact my favorite weatherman via facebook and let him know how special he is.  I think he missed his calling - he's really more of a comedian than a weatherman.  He's a funny guy!!!!!!! 




 

  



No comments: