Dr. Robert O. Young:
- Eat Garlic. It helps the body fight off any unwanted bacteria. If you can stand to eat it raw, it's most effective. It may impact your love life for a while, but you might avoid the flu.
- Leave Sugar Alone. The only sugar you should consume is through healthy fruits and vegetables. Leave the simple carbohydrates alone and if you need cough drops, make sure you buy the sugar-free variety.
- Use Ginger. It is a natural pain reliever and anti-inflammatory. It also has an anti-viral agent which helps boost your immune system.
- Take Extra Vitamin C. Not only a powerful antioxidant, it is known for decreasing the severity of colds. Eat dark leafy greens as well as broccoli, Brussels sprouts and add lemon to your water.
- Don't skimp on sleep. Suffering from sleep deprivation adds undo stress to your body and breaks down your immune system. We need a minimum of 8 hours a night so that our bodies can re-charge and renew to face the day ahead. Practice deep breathing as well in order to deal with stressful events during the day.
- Onset of fever and aching/pain in joints
- Warm, flushed skin
- Sore throat
- Dry cough (which will continue for several weeks)
- Runny nose
- Muscle aches
- Hydrate. Drink lots of fluids. You don't have to gulp down gallons of water at a time, but small sips can help you stay hydrated even in you are vomiting frequently.
- Snack. You won't feel like eating, but you should try to eat regularly if you possibly can. Snack on clear fluids such as chicken broth. Sometimes I like to have dry toast or just a bit of applesauce.
- Rest. I am a self-proclaimed workaholic! I love to stay busy with research, learning and writing. I'm the person who lies in bed sick and thinks about all the things I'd rather be doing! It's difficult for me to take my own advice here, but rest really is important in the recovery process.
- Keep a positive attitude through the illness. Know that this is a setback and will not last forever. The flu has to run its course and the best thing to do is just give in, go to bed, get some rest and take the very best care of yourself you can. Don't fight it - just take care of it.
- Weigh yourself daily. I know, I'm not a fan of this one either, but you need to know if you're losing weight without effort.
While you're recovering from the flu, continue taking your diabetes meds and all others you normally take. Check your blood sugar as you normally do and record any abnormalities so you can discuss them with your doctor.
Finally, contact your doctor or go to an emergency room if you experience any of the following symptoms:
- Unable to eat normally
- Go six hours without being able to keep food down
- Have severe diarrhea
- Lose five pounds or more
- Have a temperature over 101 degrees Fahrenheit
- Get a blood glucose reading lower than 60 mg/dL or more than 300 mg/dL
- Have trouble breathing
- Feel sleepy or can't think clearly
I hope what I've posted today will help you get through this Winter with wellness intact. Take care of yourself!
Here's an immune-boosting smoothie recipe:
- 1 orange, peeled
- 1/2 lime, peeled
- 1/2 lemon, peeled
- 1 banana
- 1/2 avocado
- ginger to taste
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 cup water (or more if you you want it a little thinner)
Blend and enjoy!!
Watch these informative videos.