DISCLAIMER:

live with physical challenges.
I am NOT a DOCTOR!!! I don't even play one on TV!!! It is my goal to live a more healthy lifestyle. Living well and being happy is what this blog is all about.

"Nothing,' wrote Tolstoy, 'can make our life, or the lives of other people, more
beautiful than perpetual kindness."

- Gretchen Rubin




I write about my own experiences and what works (or does not) for me. Nothing I write is to be taken as medical advice.

Only your health care provider, personal physician,Disclaimer:
I am not a doctor - I don't even play one on TV! This
or pharmacist can provide you with advice on what is safe and effective for your unique needs.








Monday, January 14, 2013

Wellness A-Z: A = Adopt an Alkaline Lifestyle

 
When you hear the word wellness, what images pop up in your mind?  Products ranging from shiny copper bracelets to special shoes are marketed under the heading of wellness.  It seems everyone has jumped on the wellness wagon with some product they want to sell you in the interest of your improved state of being.  Unfortunately, I'm skeptical and believe that more times than not, it's for their state of profit.  Some of these products are fine to be sure, but there are some that leave you with a huge question mark in your mind. 

This beautiful Monday morning, I've decided to begin a blog series in which I will outline wellness as I see it.  In my mind, wellness begins and ends with what we take in, not necessarily what we put on.  I hope you enjoy this series that I've entitled Wellness A-Z.

A = Adopt an Alkaline lifestyle
The most basic of needs we have as human beings is the need to nourish our bodies.  With so many temptations in our world to grab fast food or pop a frozen meal in a microwave, our opportunities to eat real food are diminished greatly.

I'm sorry to say it took a diagnosis of Type 2 Diabetes to shake me and wake me up to the fact that my food choices had to change immediately.  I'm also sorry to say I had to gain up to 220 pounds before everything came crashing down around my ears, forcing me to fight my way back to good health.  I've learned that regrets just leave you with holes in your heart, but hope can fill those holes back up!  Today - I have hope.  I've made my choice to adopt an alkaline lifestyle and I will never turn back!

You may wonder why I chose this lifestyle.  I've not only had Type 2 Diabetes for the past 20+ years, but I have sciatica and neuropathy in my right leg.  If a body has a balance that is more alkaline than acid, it helps nerves stay healthy and actually helps with pain management.  Some people scoff at that notion, but as a person who lives with it, I can assure you I know when I've not eaten a good balance of alkaline foods.  My pain levels get much worse if I've had more acidic foods and beverages than I should!  I know when I've been "bad".

In addition to helping with the nerve pain, an alkaline lifestyle helps our cells stay healthy and strong.  Did you know that cancer cells feed on sugar?  That's right.  The more alkaline foods are sugar free and therefore do not give cancer cells anything to eat and multiply on!  That's very good news!  My entire family was wiped out by cancer, so this is a HUGE deal for me! 

There is one simple step you can take to make your body more alkaline.  Add lemon to your water.  Simple?  Yeah - but it works!  

Here's a list of other items that help keep a happy pH:

Vegetables:
Spinach, asparagus, broccoli, carrots, celery, cucumber, lettuce, courgette, cabbage, greens, swede, squash (summer, butternut, yellow etc), peppers, chili, tomato, onion, garlic, chickpeas, pinto beans, kidney beans, spring onion, root ginger

Salads:
Lettuce, spinach, celery, cucumber, nuts (aside from peanuts and cashews), seeds, avocado, carrots etc.

Herbs & Spices:
Basil, parsley, mint, coriander, ginger, cumin etc.

Essential Fats:
Flax/Linseed, Evening Primrose, Olive Oil, Avocado Oil or an oil blend such as Udo' Choice

Fruits:
ONLY - Lemons, Lime, Grapefruit, Watermelon, Tomato, Avocado - all other fruits to be used quite sparingly
Grasses:
Wheat, barley, kamut, lemon, shave etc.

Sprouts:
Alfalfa, mung bean, broccoli, radish, wheat, lentil, fenugreek etc.

Dips and Sauces:

Pesto, hummus, tahini, guacamole etc.  
 
The first time I looked at a list like this, I remember thinking, "I can't do this - it's too restrictive!"  But as time went on, I found more and more recipes and began just naturally drifting toward these more healthy foods.  I actually crave them, if you can believe that!   
 
I always wrestle with including the negative part of anything, but I suppose in this case I should probably include the evil acidic based food list.  Here's the stuff I try really hard to avoid.  These give you a sad pH:

Foods that Acidify:- Sugar
- Dairy Products
- Meat (aside from occasional cold water fish)
- Caffeine
- Tobacco
- Wheat (aside from sprouts or wheat grass)
- Fruit (apart from those mentioned above)
- 'Bad' fats (saturated, trans fatty acids, hydrogenated)
- Junk/ Processed foods
- Fizzy drinks
-
Peanuts and Cashews
- Pasta and White Rice

- Condiment


Here's an example of a bad day.  I thought I was eating all the right stuff and thought I had my list pretty much memorized.  I had eaten some cashew chicken from my favorite Chinese restaurant, thinking it was fine.  About an hour later, my leg was letting me know that it was not fine.  I had forgotten that cashews are among the nuts that I should avoid.  I've not made that mistake again! 

If you make a mistake it's really not the end of the world.  I like to stay as close to the list as I can, but once in a while I mess up!  Hey, mount the horse and keep riding!  The goal is wellness and each day is a new day to do the right thing and eat the right foods!

Balancing your pH (potential for Hydrogen).  I like their name better - potential for HEALTH!

http://youtu.be/p3Knn3Cyugs



Today is DRESS UP YOUR PET DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
How fun - pets on parade!  Have fun with that!  I thought it'd be fun to snag a few photos from years past.  Hope you enjoy them!



 





OH WHAT WE PUT OUR PETS THROUGH AND STILL THEY KEEP LOVING US!!! 

No comments: