DISCLAIMER:

live with physical challenges.
I am NOT a DOCTOR!!! I don't even play one on TV!!! It is my goal to live a more healthy lifestyle. Living well and being happy is what this blog is all about.

"Nothing,' wrote Tolstoy, 'can make our life, or the lives of other people, more
beautiful than perpetual kindness."

- Gretchen Rubin




I write about my own experiences and what works (or does not) for me. Nothing I write is to be taken as medical advice.

Only your health care provider, personal physician,Disclaimer:
I am not a doctor - I don't even play one on TV! This
or pharmacist can provide you with advice on what is safe and effective for your unique needs.








Thursday, January 3, 2013

They Call me the Napster

Today is FESTIVAL OF SLEEP DAY!!! 

It seems the older I get, the more welcome an afternoon nap is to me!  I see some heads nodding out there!  I don't take a nap every day, but there are days when if I don't just go lay down and sleep, I will just drop where I am and sleep!  Is anyone else relating to this? 

How important is a nap to overall wellness?  

Even when I worked a full-time job, I would sneak off and take a little snooze on my afternoon break.  There was a couch with a couple of vending machines in the basement of the building I worked in.  Hardly anyone was around and it was quiet, except for the sound of the vending machines.  They hummed me to a semi-conscious state for about 20 minutes.  Those power naps really helped me get through the rest of my work day.

I'm not saying I was the most productive person in the department, but I am saying that once I had taken a nap, I was better able to focus on my work and did not need artificial stimulation to keep me going like most of my co-workers, who would make a run for the coffee or soda pop.  I was quite satisfied with my zzz's around 2:00 every afternoon.


After a little nap, I feel as though my creative juices are flowing better and my mind is recharged and ready to work on the more challenging aspects that before the nap I may have been struggling with.  The term "fresh eyes" comes to mind.  It is like you have literally shut your brain off for a short amount of time and then when it wakes up, you do have fresh eyes to see a problem in a different way and have the solution to it.

My mood improves after a nap.  Now I will say, if I sleep too long, that's not good either.  I can awaken a little groggy and have a hard time getting in gear if I've over-slept.  It's best if I keep my nap between 20-30 minutes.  Of course, I don't set an alarm, so if I do sleep longer I just suppose it's because I needed the extra rest.

Women who take a midday nap at least three times a week are 37% less likely to die of heart disease - and men are a whopping 64% less likely to die of heart disease!  I do a happy dance when I find my husband taking a nap!  I never complain one bit when I see that!

I usually zonk out about the same time every day - and I do not apologize for it.  About 2:00 pm every day - I'm in la la land sawing logs and lovin' it!  I try to make the room just as dark as I can and I snuggle in my blankets, just like I do at night.  I have the luxury of being able to slip into my PJ's for my nap, which obviously you can not do if you're napping at work.  I also have the good fortune of napping in my own wonderful bed on my own wonderful pillow.

To improve your mood, productivity and overall health and wellness - take a nap!  It's not just for Kindergartner's anymore!!!

 
This is such a cute video!!!  Why kids need naps!  It's so true for all of us - our tummies get full and we get... soooo... sleepy!!!  Quit fighting it - go take a nap!

 http://youtu.be/7QlQRFlPWDA









No comments: