DISCLAIMER:

live with physical challenges.
I am NOT a DOCTOR!!! I don't even play one on TV!!! It is my goal to live a more healthy lifestyle. Living well and being happy is what this blog is all about.

"Nothing,' wrote Tolstoy, 'can make our life, or the lives of other people, more
beautiful than perpetual kindness."

- Gretchen Rubin




I write about my own experiences and what works (or does not) for me. Nothing I write is to be taken as medical advice.

Only your health care provider, personal physician,Disclaimer:
I am not a doctor - I don't even play one on TV! This
or pharmacist can provide you with advice on what is safe and effective for your unique needs.








Sunday, December 2, 2012

This Holiday Practice Wellness

Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Love as if this is all there is. 
- Mary Anne Radmacher

I like this quote.  Let's talk about it.

How do you live with intention?  What does that mean to you?  Intention is "to direct your mind on".  Where is your focus in life?  Is it on your career?  Does it have to do with other people or with things?  What brings you the most joy, happiness and peace in your life?  

Walk to the edge.  That sounds a bit dangerous to me.  I like it!  At what time do we walk to the edge?  Is it a call to spontaneity, or are these walks to the edge pre-planned?  I believe a lot of that depends on your personality.  

Listen hard.  Is this part of living intently, to listen intently as well?  Do we usually miss the important stuff that's being said, or do we just ignore a great deal of what we hear?  I believe we should strive to appreciate what others, especially close family members, have to say to us.  To really hear and validate another person's opinions is the greatest gift you can give them.

Practice Wellness.  Ah, here we go!  If you practice something, does it mean you're just sort of hit-and-miss with it?  If you're learning to play the piano, it's recommended that you practice a minimum of 30 minutes every single day.  It's the consistency of study that pays off in the long run.  You can say you're practicing wellness, but if you are not sticking with it, then you are just dabbling in wellness.  It's not really practice.  Consistency counts!

And what is wellness anyhow?  We throw that buzz word around these days and I wonder if anyone has a real grasp on the concept.  Wellness is defined as:

The quality or state of being in good health, as an actively sought goal.  

Lifestyles that promote wellness are just that - lifestyles.  They have no time limit, but are a commitment you make for the rest of your life.  When you determine to improve your quality or state of being by incorporating good food choices, exercise, hydration, plenty of sleep and a good attitude, you are practicing wellness.

Play with abandon.  I saw a very interesting business card at a chiropractors office.  On the front is all the information.  It looks very professional.  When you turn the card over, it says, "Wanna Play?"  It's a conversation starter, to say the least!  Who said that once you grow up, life has to be stuffy and boring?  Where is the play in life?  And to play with abandon is even better!  When was the last time you went to a park and hopped on a swing?  I know, me neither - but maybe it's time we did!

Laugh.  Okay, this one should be easy.  In scripture there's a verse about a merry heart doing good like a medicine.  It's proven that laughter releases chemicals that improve your state of mind and heart.  It feels good to laugh.  It's a great core exercise, and Lord knows how badly I need those!  Laughter relieves stress instantly.  Why don't we laugh more?  Is it not socially acceptable?  It should be.

Choose with no regret.  Wow, that one hits between the eyes!  Buyer's remorse is practically a breed marker for some women.  Does this speak to the little things as well as the major choices we make in life?  How do you know you are making the right choice until you've already made it?  I'm not sure you can always do this.  I do know we need to forgive ourselves for mistakes of the past, especially since, you know, we can't have do-overs!

Continue to learn.  By all means!  I attempt to learn something new every day.  It's usually some minor thing, but it's something I learned!  Today, I learned that a "bole" is the trunk of a tree.  I don't know when I'll ever need to know that (or if I'll remember it when I do need to know it), but I learned that today!

Appreciate your friends.  I certainly make an attempt to keep in touch and let my friends know how much they mean to me.  I don't have a very large circle of friends, but they mean a great deal to me.

Do what you love.  Why do you think I'm writing?  I spent so many years in special education because I was (and am) dyslexic, but it's been worth the effort!  So many years I was in Summer school while the other kids were at the pool working on their dives and their tans.  I love communication.  I love to learn and I'm a word geek.  I'm also a music geek to some extent.  

Love as if this is all there is.  If you take love for granted, one day you turn around and find it is gone.  Love is the most fragile of flowers.  It demands the best from the other person and if it doesn't get it, love quickly wilts and dies.  Dare to love someone with everything you have to give and watch love bloom and blossom!  Don't wait for someone to love you first - if you do the right thing then you'll receive love in return.  

The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference...
The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference.
- Elle Wiesel, Holocaust survivor

Make a conscious choice today to love and practice faith.  Don't be indifferent.  Live by choice, not by chance.  Practice wellness.  Practice makes perfect!

Listen to Kathi Wilson singing "Mighty Rushing Breath of God" as you think about the goodness of God.

http://youtu.be/EwXgW9rHtX8



Today is NATIONAL MUTT DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  We adopted our sweet Casey about 10 years ago from the Humane Society.  He's been the best little Beagle mix ever!!!  Adopt a mutt and they will be the best companion you've ever had!








Today is also NATIONAL FRITTERS DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Enjoy in moderation!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is sad that too many people don't know how to laugh! I feel very strongly about the "do what you love!" Yesterday on one of the Facebook diabetes pages, some woman basically said her life was over and worthless because she had neuropathy and had trouble walking. I told her that my life has certainly changed course because of the neuropathy - I use a walker and can't drive anymore. I told her that even though my life is different, I have found new things to enjoy that I can do.