DISCLAIMER:

live with physical challenges.
I am NOT a DOCTOR!!! I don't even play one on TV!!! It is my goal to live a more healthy lifestyle. Living well and being happy is what this blog is all about.

"Nothing,' wrote Tolstoy, 'can make our life, or the lives of other people, more
beautiful than perpetual kindness."

- Gretchen Rubin




I write about my own experiences and what works (or does not) for me. Nothing I write is to be taken as medical advice.

Only your health care provider, personal physician,Disclaimer:
I am not a doctor - I don't even play one on TV! This
or pharmacist can provide you with advice on what is safe and effective for your unique needs.








Saturday, December 15, 2012

Good Juice Alternative for Christmas Breakfast

My mama used to say, "God helps those who help themselves."  Now, that's not anywhere in the Bible (I know because I've searched for it).  I think a bit of truth rings from it.   One practical way we can keep our cells and nerves healthy and happy is by eating about twelve servings of fruits and vegetables every day, but not all of them are created equal.  Purchase organic if they are thin-skinned.  Other, more thick-skinned fruits and vegetables don't need to be organic.  The foods highest in pesticides are also coincidentally the same ones that are thin-skinned.
 
When I say twelve servings a day, I usually see jaws drop, especially if I say it to a fellow diabetic.  Then I usually hear, "If I ate twelve servings of fruit a day, do you know what that would do to my blood sugar?"  Well, yes, I do - but, you did hear me say fruits and vegetables, right?  There is a balance to be maintained, and I agree, a diet of fruit alone is not a good idea!  You have to eat both fruits and vegetables - and monitor your blood sugar consistently. 
 
And, if you're a short person like me, maybe you should go to the minimum recommendation, which is nine servings a day.  That's pretty easy to do when you eat five small meals a day - breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack.
 
With Christmas right around the corner, you want to keep in mind which fruits and vegetables should be purchased organic and which do not need to be.  Having healthy snacks around for your guests is a great idea.  You may like to make a fruit - or fruit / vegetable basket up for a friend as a gift.  More and more people are eating a healthier diet and would really appreciate such a thoughtful present.  I know I would.  Hint, hint!     
 
BUY ORGANIC (highest in pesticides)
apples
bell peppers
celery
cherries
grapes
nectarines
peaches
pears
potatoes
red raspberries
spinach
strawberries
tomatoes
 
BUY NON-ORGANIC (lowest in pesticides)
asparagus
avocados
bananas
broccoli
cauliflower
sweet corn
kiwi
mangoes
onions
papaya
pineapples
sweet peas
lemons
limes
 
If you own a juicer, you have probably taken full advantage of it and made smoothies and shakes, but have you thought about making your own juice?  This is a quick and easy way to start your day off right.  All of the ingredients I use in this recipe are organic.
 
Homemade Vegetable Juice (makes 2 servings)
 
Ingredients:
1 whole cucumber
4 sticks of celery
2-4 handfuls of spinach
8 lettuce leaves
 
Some optional boosters:  parsley & fresh alfalfa sprouts.  You may add tomatoes (to taste) if you like the strong tomato flavor in the store-bought vegetable juice.  If you like spicy vegetable juice, you can add some spices to give your juice a "kick" if you'd like.  Experiment until you find the perfect recipe for you! 
 
Directions:
Juice all ingredients and mix 50/50 with distilled water.  Add optional lemon juice to taste.
 
I count this juice as four servings of vegetables.  When you make your own vegetable juice, you not only know exactly what goes into it, but you can avoid all of the chemicals and the large quantity of sodium they put in their juice.  Even the popular low-sodium vegetable juice has quite a bit of sodium.
 
It would be perfect if you could either grow your own garden and pick all of these ingredients fresh - or find some of this stuff at a farmer's market in your area.  I don't have the option of having my own garden (unless it's flowers), so we go to our local farmer's market to get a lot of our fresh fruits and vegetables.  Of course since it's Winter now, we don't have any fruit and vegetable stands around, so we will be forced to go back to the grocery store to buy our produce.  That is one part of Summer I will surely miss - going to the farmer's market to get our produce! 
 
Let's just keep eating as well as we possibly can to keep our cells and nerves happy!  We'll just keep doing the best we can with the knowledge we're given. 
I do believe that God helps those who help themselves. 
 
Father,
please protect our bodies from sickness and disease. Shock doctors with Your wonder-working power. Remove tumors, wipe-out cancer, strengthen immune systems, and allow Christ's healing-blood to run through our veins.
In Jesus' Name, Amen.

Enjoy this little jewel from the 1970's!  I miss the 70's.  Polyester, records, yo-yo's, slinkys, black light posters.  Good stuff, man - RIGHT ON!!!  FAR OUT!!!  Okay - yes, I think it's all out of my system.  No guarantees though.

http://youtu.be/Na2ot4X7Zpg






Today is NATIONAL FIREFIGHTER'S DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  We appreciate all you do!!!!!!!!!
 
 
 
 
Today is also NATIONAL LEMON CUPCAKE DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  No, that is not referring to the firemen in the above photo, ladies!  Although...  um - never mind.  Wow - my house isn't on fire, but I think I am!  Hope you enjoy your cupcake today - yeah - just one (no icing on mine).







 
 

No comments: