DISCLAIMER:

live with physical challenges.
I am NOT a DOCTOR!!! I don't even play one on TV!!! It is my goal to live a more healthy lifestyle. Living well and being happy is what this blog is all about.

"Nothing,' wrote Tolstoy, 'can make our life, or the lives of other people, more
beautiful than perpetual kindness."

- Gretchen Rubin




I write about my own experiences and what works (or does not) for me. Nothing I write is to be taken as medical advice.

Only your health care provider, personal physician,Disclaimer:
I am not a doctor - I don't even play one on TV! This
or pharmacist can provide you with advice on what is safe and effective for your unique needs.








Sunday, December 16, 2012

Stay Balanced for the Festivities

Knowledge is learning something new every day.  Wisdom is letting go of something every day.  -Zen Proverb

 
Begin asking yourself, "What have I learned today?" and "What did I let go of today?"  It doesn't have to be a big glob of knowledge, it could be something very seemingly insignificant.  For instance, the other day I had to hunt around to find the button to push to make my flashers come on in my car.  It's not a big deal, but I did learn where that button is for future reference.  What did I let go of?  I think on that day I decided to throw away a magazine I was hanging on to because I had some important thing I was going to do with it but didn't get around to doing it.  It got trashed.

Once you accept balance into your life on a conscious level, it makes all the difference.  Every aspect of our lives depends on some degree of balance.  You cannot physically ride a bicycle if you cannot balance.  

Life is like a bicycle.  To keep your balance, you must keep moving. 
-Albert Einstein

Be aware of what you learn and be aware of what you let go.  Have no regret about doing either.  If there are subjects you need to know more about, by all means dig for knowledge.  Dig with passion and drink up every bit of information you can get your hands on.  The internet is a wealth of knowledge and I'm so thankful for it!  If you have some stuff you need to toss, knock yourself out and get rid of it.  Donate or throw it away with wild abandon.

When I decided to learn as much as I could about type 2 diabetes, I read absolutely every book and magazine article I could get my hands on about it, in an effort to better control my disease process.  I googled and researched and studied.  This is my disease.  I claim it.  It's mine and I'm going to control it! 

Knowledge is power.   -Sir Francis Bacon 

Don't just helplessly depend on the doctors and the nurses and the educators and the dietitians.  They can add to your arsenal of information, but they can't shoot the gun for you!  That's your job.  You're the only one who can take care of you!  I may not have a college degree, but I can read and understand most of what I'm reading.

God gave you a wonderful, capable brain.  You know your body better than your doctor ever will.  You know what kinds of stress and foods make your blood sugar spike and what keeps it happy and even.  You know that if you eat an entire Christmas turkey with all the trimmings by yourself you're probably going to have some issues, come on!  Be moderate and use common sense.  You can have one slice of pumpkin pie.  You can have a dollop of whipped cream on it.  You can not, however, eat the entire pie by yourself.  I know - I'm no fun.  You're not the first to tell me that - you won't be the last.  Festivities call for some allowances, but not for an all out abandon of your senses! 

Gain knowledge from all around you.  Be wise and let go of the junk - (i.e. the junk food).  Embrace wellness and control your type 2 diabetes.  On days that are not holidays, you should: 

Eat alkaline-based foods
Drink water with lemon
Exercise 1/2 hour every day
Keep a healthy, positive attitude - (laugh often!)

You can do this!  I wish you wellness today.

Check out the fishbowl metaphor:

http://youtu.be/REHQ-GEkibs

Take a look at my article entitled, "Don't Just Dive Into Exercise If You Are Diabetic:  Take It One Step At A Time".  Sometimes we just dive in and do too much at first and end up hurting ourselves and having to start all over, when it would be best to just start out a little slower and be more consistent. 
 
http://ezinearticles.com/?Dont-Just-Dive-Into-Exercise-If-You-Are-Diabetic:-Take-It-One-Step-at-a-Time&id=7147527




Today is NATIONAL CHOCOLATE-COVERED ANYTHING DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  There are just some holidays I can get behind 100% - and this is one of them.  Just remember that chocolate is acidic and so it will be part of your 20%.  You can enjoy in moderation. 


 

No comments: