DISCLAIMER:

live with physical challenges.
I am NOT a DOCTOR!!! I don't even play one on TV!!! It is my goal to live a more healthy lifestyle. Living well and being happy is what this blog is all about.

"Nothing,' wrote Tolstoy, 'can make our life, or the lives of other people, more
beautiful than perpetual kindness."

- Gretchen Rubin




I write about my own experiences and what works (or does not) for me. Nothing I write is to be taken as medical advice.

Only your health care provider, personal physician,Disclaimer:
I am not a doctor - I don't even play one on TV! This
or pharmacist can provide you with advice on what is safe and effective for your unique needs.








Wednesday, November 7, 2012

The Perfect Hospital Room

 
In my quest to design the perfect hospital room, there are a few simple questions I would ask:

Which colors best suit patients of different age groups? 

Would I want the same color scheme used in pediatric rooms as I use in the room of an more mature patient?  Surely not. 

Three words:
uninviting - scary - antiseptic
A sick child still needs to feel just as comfortable as possible in a hospital room so the hospital stay does not end up being a scary experience.  I'm not suggesting a block style of primary colors all over the room, but there can be a few little touches of "fun stuff" scattered here and there to take that edge of fear away.  Certain colors, however, need to be used sparingly.  Yellow, for instance, can make an already hyperactive child even worse, or if it's used on a wall, it can actually cast a yellow hue to the skin which can lead to a misdiagnosis of jaundice.  A welcoming and calming neutral wall color is a safe bet, with jewel tones, deeper shades of emerald green and a deeper mauve used for accent and artwork.  Hospitals can be scary places for little ones, but the right color scheme can erase a lot of fear.

The artwork on the wall of a child's hospital room is so important!  As a child, I had an extended stay in a hospital.  As an adult, I can still vividly recall the artwork on the wall of that hospital room.  I don't remember very many details apart from that one print.  It was a simple print of a little girl putting grape jelly on a piece of bread.  I've always loved the color purple - and that purple grape jelly not only looked yummy to eat, but the purple color was just pretty to look at.  I remember focusing on the artwork when the nurse came in to draw blood.  It helped me take my mind off of the blood work. 



YELLOW OVERLOAD!!!
More mature adults also need some degree of comfort when entering a hospital room.  Again, we don't want to use the colors that fast-food restaurants use.  They use those bright reds and yellows for a reason.  They want you to feel like you need to eat very quickly and leave just as soon as you're finished!  In a hospital room that's hardly the impression we want to give, is it? 

Some hospital rooms try to be "cheery" looking,  but it can affect a person with AD/HD adversely and worsen their condition.  There really can be too much of a good thing - in this case, there's just too much yellow!

Here is my idea for the perfect color palette in an adult hospital room!  Obviously, a lot of thoughtful planning went into this color scheme choice and the way everything is placed.  Notice the only stark white wall is the one behind the patient?  The wall the patient has to face is a warm and welcoming accent color.  It has a soothing affect.  And the artwork is a beautiful landscape.  And look - I think I see that little bit of yellow - that little bit of hope - yes, it's the sun!  It's important to bring the outdoors indoors in the form of artwork - much like we do in our own homes.  The curtains give a very "home-like" feel to the room.  Check out that warm hardwood floor!  I'm sure the robe hanging on the hook on the door is not included, but it's nice to know there's a hook that is low enough that even someone in a wheelchair could reach it.  Most hooks are not accessible to those in wheelchairs because they're placed too high up on the door.  I like the accent pillows and the blue sheets.  The warm browns are inviting and the bit of green in the curtains just brings the "homey" feeling together.

Well, let's face it - the hospital is not going to be "home", okay?  None of us want to be in a hospital - ever - but if we find ourselves having to be there, we would at least like it to be a bit more "home-like" in appearance.

The psychology of color has always fascinated me.  

http://youtu.be/AiJRVvnNi-c


Today is NATIONAL BITTERSWEET CHOCOLATE WITH ALMONDS DAY!!!!!!!!  Enjoy a little treat - emphasis on little.


 


 


 



  

 

No comments: