DISCLAIMER:

live with physical challenges.
I am NOT a DOCTOR!!! I don't even play one on TV!!! It is my goal to live a more healthy lifestyle. Living well and being happy is what this blog is all about.

"Nothing,' wrote Tolstoy, 'can make our life, or the lives of other people, more
beautiful than perpetual kindness."

- Gretchen Rubin




I write about my own experiences and what works (or does not) for me. Nothing I write is to be taken as medical advice.

Only your health care provider, personal physician,Disclaimer:
I am not a doctor - I don't even play one on TV! This
or pharmacist can provide you with advice on what is safe and effective for your unique needs.








Sunday, November 11, 2012

My Fav... Spa for Moi on the Cheap

 
I was curious this afternoon and decided to do some dinking around on the internet to find a useless piece of trivia to share with you.  I don't know if this would be considered useless and if you take it to heart, it's hardly trivial.

Did you know that the average life expectancy is only age 79?  If that's true, then I have a very short time to complete a very long bucket list of activities!  How important is it to take care of your health?  You're asking, "How do we do that?"  I'm so glad you asked! 
In order to age gracefully and with good health, we already know the importance of proper diet, consistent activity, plenty of water and a good positive attitude.  But there are some other more pleasant ways to assure we age with healthy skin and mental harmony with stress-reduction guaranteed.   Time is not the only thief in the equation.  How much time do you spend in the hot Summer sun?  The sun, while good in moderation for the vitamin D it provides, can not only burn your skin, but cause dehydration which causes early signs of aging and dreaded wrinkles. 
  
A wonderful way to hydrate and rejuvenate your delicate skin is to have a facial.  Having a facial on a regular basis provides noticeable improvements in skin tone, texture and appearance.  They are also blissfully painless for diabetics (who live with constant finger pricks, blood tests - needles!)  Take the opportunity to just relax and de-stress and enjoy the experience.  

I can hear you saying, "I can't afford that!"  One lesson I've learned in life is where there is a will, there is a way.  You can afford a facial, you just have to be smart about it.  There is a local beauty school in my area.  I subscribe to their online newsletter.  About every three months they run a promotion and offer coupons to their clients.  They also offer coupons in our phone book.  I can justify pampering myself when I know I'm saving money!  It's not a crime to use a coupon for a facial.  It doesn't make you cheap, it makes you smart!  Of course, you have to keep in mind that you will not get the same person to do your facial more than once.  It is a school, after all.  If you're willing to take your chances, so to speak, then that might be the way to go.  I will say, however, I've never had a bad facial from our local beauty school students.  Some have been a bit timid, but they have to develop their confidence while they're learning.  It makes me feel good to know I'm helping them - I'm part of that process.  

Growing old is compulsory; growing up is optional. - Bob Monkhouse

Therapeutic massage is another wonderful way to peel off the worries and cares that build up over time.  It improves functioning of the circulatory, lymphatic, muscular, skeletal and nervous systems.  It also increases circulation and reduces stress, anxiety and depression.  How many complications of diabetes have to do with these systems?  Anything we can do to keep things working correctly - don't you think we should? 

About two or three times a year, I have a wonderful massage therapist who comes to my home.  I get a one-hour massage and feel absolutely fabulous when she's finished.  My attitude improves and my mental function is enhanced.  I write better after a massage!  It's thought that massage also improves the rate at which people recover from illness as well.  Just make sure you drink plenty of water after a massage to flush all the toxins out of your body.

Bubble baths in my tub sometimes help to relax and renew my sense of well being.  I have the luxury of being alone in my own bathroom.  You're saying, "well, good for you", but you'd be astonished at the number of women who share with me that they have absolutely no alone time - even in their own bathrooms - even in their own tub!  While that is not something I can even almost imagine in my own life, it sounds as though it could present a real problem if your goal is to unwind and de-stress in a bubble bath.

If there is any way you can get your significant other to keep watch over the kids for just an hour or so, that would be so helpful.  In our house there's a lock on the bathroom door.  I think I'd be tempted to use it if someone insisted on interrupting my alone time in the tub.  Just a thought.     

So, if the average life expectancy is 79 years of age, don't you want to be above average and aim higher?  I do!  I don't want to have to rush through my bucket list.  I want to take it slow and easy and have plenty of time.  

How beautiful it is to do nothing, and then to rest afterward. 
- Spanish Proverb

Here's some soothing music to listen to while you enjoy a home spa day!

http://youtu.be/hOA-2hl1Vbc

Today is VETERANS DAY!!!!!!!!!  Thank a Vet for the freedom you enjoy!  Have a great day!

No comments: