DISCLAIMER:

live with physical challenges.
I am NOT a DOCTOR!!! I don't even play one on TV!!! It is my goal to live a more healthy lifestyle. Living well and being happy is what this blog is all about.

"Nothing,' wrote Tolstoy, 'can make our life, or the lives of other people, more
beautiful than perpetual kindness."

- Gretchen Rubin




I write about my own experiences and what works (or does not) for me. Nothing I write is to be taken as medical advice.

Only your health care provider, personal physician,Disclaimer:
I am not a doctor - I don't even play one on TV! This
or pharmacist can provide you with advice on what is safe and effective for your unique needs.








Saturday, November 10, 2012

Little Chuckles Along the Way

 
*******************************************************

This cute little chuckle is from Amy MacLeod Mayers:

My father was diabetic and while at the nursing home when they came in to check his sugar the nurse asked, "Okay Mr. MacLeod, which finger should we use?" and he said, 'Yours'!"   :) 

When asked if he would like something to drink, his answer always would be, "Sure, a manhattan"... not served in a nursing home situation.  LOL!!!

Amy then added, "I have always said my Dad was a wise guy!"

*******************************************************

Here's a touching memory from Sue Kelley Kinnan:

Women of my mother's generation were not getting advanced degrees, however, my mother was a very accomplished retired Latin teacher who earned a Masters degree while raising 4 children!  She was raised in the very early 1900's.  Back then, there was a stereotype that "sugar" was something to be ashamed of, and a misconception that diabetics somehow brought their disease upon themself due solely to the overindulgence of sugar.  Because of the culture's stigma at that time, she hated to have anyone say she was diabetic.  She was made to feel ashamed and apologetic for being a diabetic.

While in the hospital, the health care providers wanted to give her insulin.  She tried to say she didn't need it, which was logical because she did not take insulin at all.  The nurse told her she had "Deniabetes", and that stuck in my memory, especially when I too developed type 2.

Now there is a lot more science, we can test our own blood sugar, and we can search the web to learn about our disease.  My mother's mindset was, if she didn't give diabetes any credence, she could "wish it away".  It was a different time, and a different world that she lived in, really.

******************************************************

Mandy Hall shared this amusing memory from her high school days:

My best friend, Shelly, and I are both type 1 diabetics.  When we were in high school we decided to go see a movie together one afternoon .  We got to the theater and took our seats inside and began to chat and giggle like freshmen high school girls do.  

It never dawned on me until after the fact, but I had forgotten to eat lunch before going to the movie that day.  Don't ask me how it happened, but it did.  I didn't even feel really bad until I got back out to the lobby when the movie was over.  The signs of a hypo are unmistakable!  And it's not something you ever want to happen in a public place!

I tried to speak but was not making much sense - and Shelly was so funny!  She just whipped out her vast flavor assortment of icing and said, "Pick your poison, girl!"  I chose the chocolate (to anyone who knows me, this comes as no surprise!)  

We don't see each other very often anymore - we went off to different colleges, got married and began living our own lives.  But I'll never forget the day she had my back at the movie theater.  I was thankful that my BFF was also a type 1 diabetic!

****************************************************** 

One of the key elements in dealing with a chronic disease is to find those little chuckles along the way.  If we can learn to laugh a little bit then it actually helps us physically, mentally and spiritually!  Laughter is indeed better than any medicine available for whatever ails us.  I hope you've enjoyed these little stories of good memories - these little chuckles along the way!

I thought an appropriate song for this post would be Elvis singing, "Memories".

http://youtu.be/IwE7H4p1Whs



      
Today is UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS DAY!!!!!!!!!!!  Thank a Marine for your freedom today.





No comments: