DISCLAIMER:

live with physical challenges.
I am NOT a DOCTOR!!! I don't even play one on TV!!! It is my goal to live a more healthy lifestyle. Living well and being happy is what this blog is all about.

"Nothing,' wrote Tolstoy, 'can make our life, or the lives of other people, more
beautiful than perpetual kindness."

- Gretchen Rubin




I write about my own experiences and what works (or does not) for me. Nothing I write is to be taken as medical advice.

Only your health care provider, personal physician,Disclaimer:
I am not a doctor - I don't even play one on TV! This
or pharmacist can provide you with advice on what is safe and effective for your unique needs.








Monday, November 12, 2012

The Type 2 Stereotype

 
Trying to manage diabetes is hard because if you don't, there are consequences you'll have to deal with later in life.  - Bryan Adams


I don't believe you.
I'm so tired of being judged so harshly, and the older I get, the more harsh the judgement gets!  It's the ol' "you asked for it because of your evil behavior" stereotype that I get handed because I have "adult onset" type 2.  I eat better than most of my friends - scratch that - all of my friends!  I have a very healthy diet and a very healthy lifestyle in general.  I get so tired of defending myself all the time - especially with the health care professionals who are supposed to be helping me out!  They ask questions like, "How much exercise do you get a week?" 

I feel like saying, "What difference does it make how much exercise I really get, you won't believe me anyhow." 

They don't believe me when I tell them I get a minimum of a half hour of exercise every single day.  They also don't believe me when I say I don't eat the skin on poultry, or pork of any kind.  They don't believe that I eat more vegetables and fruits than meat, or that I only have red meat on average about once or twice a month.  I haven't eaten refined sugar products for a very long time!  I've been so very careful - but when I say that, I get looked at over specs like I've just announced that I am an alien from another planet.  Are they wise to doubt my super powers?  I think not!

See - the more doubt they reflect back to me, the more stubborn and determined I become.  When I go in for my next A1c, it is my sincere hope that it is lowered to around 5.  It's not just about my health anymore, but I want to prove that what I'm saying is true!  At this point, it's more than a goal - it's a quest!  I've already been told I can quit shooting insulin - and that is a major victory in itself, but I'm not satisfied with that.  I have more weight to lose and I know if I keep a close watch on my diet, exercise and water consumption, I can whip this!  It's the biggest challenge of my life (for my life) and I can do this!  


Recommending gastric bypass as a national solution for our diabetes epidemic is bad medicine and bad economics.  - Mark Hyman

Potlucks are so much fun for type 2 diabetics.  The well-meaning food police are on hand to make sure we don't take too much food or take the wrong kind of food.  It makes me want to scream!  I'm reminded of my 50th birthday.  It fell on a Sunday and my husband had a lady in our church make me a pretty birthday cake in the shape of a piano.  He surprised me with it between Sunday school and church service .  

I sat by the cake and talked with people and served cake to anyone who wanted a slice.  By the time it was time for church service to start, I had just one little part of the "cake" left.  I was boxing it up to take home, when someone from the lovable food police stopped me and reminded me that I am a diabetic and probably should not eat that cake.  The piece I got was decorative - it wasn't even "cake".  I get tired of constantly explaining my actions to everyone.  I just smiled and went on. 

People mean well - I guess.  It's just that I've lived with these judgements for 20 years and maybe I'm just losing patience with the ignorant majority.  Diabetes is not the same for type 2's.  Somehow we deserve what we get because we overate and under exercised.  We're just fat lazy slobs by virtue of the fact we're type 2, right???  Whatever!  The only thing lazy about me is my stupid pancreas - and pardon me, but that is not my fault!

If I would have listened, if I would have understood diabetes like I understood music, maybe these things wouldn't have happened. - Marvin Isley


I'm just sick of it.  Even though I'm determined to turn my own circumstances around - not for the health care providers or the ignorant majority - but for myself - I would appreciate a lot more support in my efforts from the health care providers.  And, wow, wouldn't it be great if someone actually believed the answers I give when I'm asked a question about my diet or exercise or how much water I drink.  I'm not even sure they believe me when I tell them I don't drink anything except water.  I don't feel validated - but that's okay - because I will attempt to manage this horrible disease - it doesn't matter whether I'm believed or not.  I know what I'm doing - and I know why I'm doing it.  That's all that matters. 

Take a minute to read my article entitled, "A Type 2 Diabetics Dream Come True!"   


Today is CHICKEN SOUP FOR THE SOUL DAY!!!!!!!!  Chicken Soup for the Soul is a series of books, usually featuring a collection of short and dense inspirational stories and motivational essays. The 101 stories in the first book of the series were compiled by motivational speakers Jack Canfield and Mark Victor HansenThere have been over 200 titles.  Many of the books are directed at specific groups of people, such as Chicken Soup for the Mother's Soul, Chicken Soup for the Preteen Soul, Chicken Soup for the Prisoner's Soul, Chicken Soup for the Soul: Tough Times, Tough People, Chicken Soup for the Grandparent's Soul, Chicken Soup for the Soul: Teens Talk Relationships, and Chicken Soup for the Soul: Thanks Dad. 

   

  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Linda I agree with everything you said but T1s do get that crap from doctors also - been there too many times to know that is true. You are right about a lot of T1s being overweight - someone recently posted an article that said more are overweight than not.

Don't you love the diabetes food police? For all she knew, you could have been taking that piece of cake for your husband. I hate when people do crap like that.