DISCLAIMER:

live with physical challenges.
I am NOT a DOCTOR!!! I don't even play one on TV!!! It is my goal to live a more healthy lifestyle. Living well and being happy is what this blog is all about.

"Nothing,' wrote Tolstoy, 'can make our life, or the lives of other people, more
beautiful than perpetual kindness."

- Gretchen Rubin




I write about my own experiences and what works (or does not) for me. Nothing I write is to be taken as medical advice.

Only your health care provider, personal physician,Disclaimer:
I am not a doctor - I don't even play one on TV! This
or pharmacist can provide you with advice on what is safe and effective for your unique needs.








Saturday, November 17, 2012

I Am Determined

 
I have a stubborn streak when it comes to facing challenges.  This has given me some degree of strength throughout my life.  I am dyslexic.  When I was in elementary school I spent most Summers in classrooms trying to learn basic reading and writing skills when my friends were laying out by the pool working on their tans.  I wasn't digging on it at the time, but do I harbor regrets about it now?  Not a single one! 

Why?  Because I was determined to overcome the obstacle, I have had opportunities in life I would not have had otherwise.  This same stubborn determination is what I'm pouring into the management of type 2 diabetes.  I've read so many articles and reports about it and I'm more convinced with each passing day that with some effort, this disease can be well managed, and possibly reversed.

Hope begins in the dark, the stubborn hope that if you just show up and try to do the right thing, the dawn will come.  You wait and watch and work:  You don't give up.  - Anne Lamott

The dream I had of being a writer - it is slowly being realized.  There are still individual words that give me fits, but for the most part the words flow.  I keep a dictionary and thesaurus handy, but I think most writers do that.  I now aspire to regain my health.  I firmly believe that with God's help I can be the healthy individual I once was. 

Today was weigh day.  I've not gained or lost, so I count it a success.  I usually lose 2-3 pounds then stop losing for a couple of weeks.  Then I'll hopefully lose again.  The weight will not come off quickly, but I'm alright with that as long as it keeps coming off. 

How much work will it take?  It will take as much work as it takes!  This is a lifestyle change, not just a temporary diet that I will go off of once I get to my goal weight.  You can't approach weight loss with a "magic bullet" because there isn't one!  Think about it, don't you think some of those overweight celebs would have been the first to purchase the magic whatever?  The weight loss industry would have you believe that if you take this pill or drink this shake, or eat their special food, or use this special piece of equipment, or dance to their DVD all of your body issues will just vanish into thin air.  Hogwash!

Some people just have to work a little more diligently to get where they want to be.  Dyslexia did not stop me.  I worked longer and harder to learn the necessary skills to effectively read and write.  I'm not going to let diabetes define who I am either.  It will not win.  I have diabetes, but diabetes does not have me.  

If you can find a great support group to share with, that is so helpful.  The Diabetic Online Community (DOC) is so great!  Sometimes just talking with someone who is traveling a similar path makes you feel like you're not facing this wicked monster alone.  I'm too close to my goal to turn around now.  I refuse to quit and nobody or nothing will stop me from reaching the finish line.  

I've had just a couple of high blood sugar readings since discontinuing my long-acting insulin pen, but I attribute that to the pain I've been in with sciatica, along with a low-grade fever.  Once I get to feeling better, I believe my blood sugar will get better too.

Everyone struggles with something.  It's a matter of attitude that makes the difference in the long run.  If you believe you're defeated, you already are.  If you believe something can be overcome, you're halfway there!  

There's a phrase I adopted a long time ago.  I want an attitude of gratitude.  I don't want to take my gifts, blessings or any bestowal from God for granted - ever!  Anything I am is because of Him.  Anything I can do it's because He has helped me do it.  I believe I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.  What does all mean?  Anything.  I can do anything. 

 I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.  - Philippians 4:13

Here's the GYC Choir singing, "I Am Determined".

http://youtu.be/AJfKszSwvnM

Today is NATIONAL TAKE A HIKE DAY!!!!!!!!!!!  No, this is not the day you are allowed to tell someone else to take a hike!  This is the day to get out and walk off all the stress and frustration that has been building up inside you!  Oh, you know it has - don't even go there with me!





 

 
 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have been working hard on my Attitude of Gratitude as well. It makes the easy days brighter, and makes the hardest days POSSIBLE. Love to read what you write, Lnda! :)

Unknown said...

Thank you, Chris!!! You're a great blessing in my life! I'm so glad our paths crossed. God Bless you extra-special today!!!