DISCLAIMER:

live with physical challenges.
I am NOT a DOCTOR!!! I don't even play one on TV!!! It is my goal to live a more healthy lifestyle. Living well and being happy is what this blog is all about.

"Nothing,' wrote Tolstoy, 'can make our life, or the lives of other people, more
beautiful than perpetual kindness."

- Gretchen Rubin




I write about my own experiences and what works (or does not) for me. Nothing I write is to be taken as medical advice.

Only your health care provider, personal physician,Disclaimer:
I am not a doctor - I don't even play one on TV! This
or pharmacist can provide you with advice on what is safe and effective for your unique needs.








Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Food and Mood

They say it is better to be poor and happy than rich and miserable, but how about a compromise like moderately rich and just moody?  - Princess Diana

Fluctuations in blood sugar levels are associated with changes in mood and energy, and are affected by what we eat.  If you eat lots of vegetables, fruits, beans, legumes, seeds, nuts and lean protein it helps not only stabilize your blood glucose but also your mood. 


A note about vegetables:  If you can stand to eat raw or very lightly steamed vegetables, that is best.  The more you cook a vegetable, the less nutrients you get from it.

I'll let you in on a little secret.  I used to be a very moody individual - there, I admit it.  There was a time when I would sit up late at night with a bag of salty chips and watch a late movie, then try to go to work the next morning and function like a normal person.  Needless to say, it was not a formula for success.  If I encountered a little bump in the road at work, it became a major hurdle for me.  Because of my diet and a gross lack of sleep, my ability to function with a good attitude at work was sabotaged.  Food and lack of sleep were the main saboteurs.

Many years ago, a book was written entitled "Food, Mind and Mood".  I bought the book at a flea market, of all places - and this was one of the first light bulbs that went on in my brain.  The light of hope was faint, but it was flickering!  It amazes me how God could put this obviously well used, ratty looking paperback book in my path in order to begin to teach me about how to fuel my temple.  Excuse me - HIS temple!


I had not even heard of MSG (monosodium glutamate) before I read that book.  All of my snacking was slowly killing me.  I not only gained a lot of weight because of my habits, but I was suffering from migraines more than once a week due to the MSG in my diet.  I cleaned out my pantry.  I threw out the lunch meat, processed foods and carefully read every label on every container in my kitchen.  If it said MSG - it got tossed!

I still have that horrible looking, yellow-paged paperback book. It saved my life.  Since I have cut all sodium, including MSG from my diet, I've not suffered from a major migraine.  No one can convince me that food does not directly affect mood and health.  They are connected, no doubt. 

So, before I had to conquer the sugar issue, I had to conquer to sodium issue.  When I said this has been a journey, I was not joking.  One little baby step at a time.  I certainly did not give up every bad food in one day!  God knows that when we need to make changes, we are only human and need to make these changes with baby steps.  He is so patient with me and just keeps helping me.

The United States is a leader in so many ways in the world. We can be a leader in health as well. Health is the best ambassador.  - Anne Tinker

Where did your journey to wellness begin?  Are you more excited about it today than you were yesterday? 

I only have one regret, and it's that I didn't begin it earlier!

The jury is back and the verdict is in:  Mental health is directly affected by the foods we ingest.  It is important to pay attention to what you're popping in your mouth! 

Here are some helpful hints on how to eat around the Holidays.

http://youtu.be/f0Amo2qcsuQ

Yep - today is the GREAT AMERICAN SMOKEOUT!!!!!!!!!!  That does not mean we're eating barbeque, although that sounds really good to me!  This is the day you leave your cigarettes at home and do not take a smoke break.  Wow - there will be some moody people in the workplace today.  Just sayin'...


No comments: