DISCLAIMER:

live with physical challenges.
I am NOT a DOCTOR!!! I don't even play one on TV!!! It is my goal to live a more healthy lifestyle. Living well and being happy is what this blog is all about.

"Nothing,' wrote Tolstoy, 'can make our life, or the lives of other people, more
beautiful than perpetual kindness."

- Gretchen Rubin




I write about my own experiences and what works (or does not) for me. Nothing I write is to be taken as medical advice.

Only your health care provider, personal physician,Disclaimer:
I am not a doctor - I don't even play one on TV! This
or pharmacist can provide you with advice on what is safe and effective for your unique needs.








Monday, October 8, 2012

Slow Cooker Asian Chicken Recipe

Hey!  It's getting much colder in my neck of the woods - so it's time to get the crock-pot out!  Today I'm in the mood for Chinese food and think I'll fix some Asian Chicken.  It's a quick, easy way to prepare chicken that's a little different from traditional "chicken" dishes.  It's adapted from The Comfort of Cooking.  This is 2 meals for us, so we will be enjoying leftovers - and it heats up really well.  Tastes just as good the day after you make it!



Slow Cooker Asian Chicken  (makes 4 servings)


Ingredients:

6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
salt & pepper (to taste)
1/2 cup diced onion
2 minced garlic cloves
1 cup honey
1/4 cup low-sodium ketchup
1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons vegetable oil or olive oil
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
4 teaspoons cornstarch
1/3 cup water
sesame seeds (garnish)
3 sliced green onions

Directions:

Place the chicken breasts into the slow cooker and lightly season both sides with salt and pepper.  In a medium bowl, combine onion, garlic, honey, ketchup, soy sauce, oil and red pepper flakes.  Pour the sauce over the chicken in the slow cooker.  Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours, or on high for 2 hours until the chicken is fully cooked (the internal temperature has reached 165 degrees).

Once the chicken has finished cooking, remove the chicken breasts and place them onto a cutting board, leaving the sauce in the slow cooker.  Shred the chicken into bite-sized pieces using two forks.  Set aside.

In a small bowl, dissolve 4 teaspoons of cornstarch in 1/3 cup water, add to the crock pot.  Stir to combine with the sauce.  Cover and cook sauce on high for ten more minutes, or until the sauce has slightly thickened.

Return the chicken to the slow cooker and toss with the sauce.  Serve over cooked wild rice if desired.  Top with sesame seeds and sliced green onions.

Chinese food is one of my very favorites, but I don't always like to get out and go to a restaurant.  This is a perfect recipe for those days when it's just too cold to get outside!

I found the most beautiful video of Autumn in Japan.  Enjoy! 

http://youtu.be/Xmtknvabmnc


Hey - today is AMERICAN TOUCH TAG DAY!!!!!!!!! 






No comments: