DISCLAIMER:

live with physical challenges.
I am NOT a DOCTOR!!! I don't even play one on TV!!! It is my goal to live a more healthy lifestyle. Living well and being happy is what this blog is all about.

"Nothing,' wrote Tolstoy, 'can make our life, or the lives of other people, more
beautiful than perpetual kindness."

- Gretchen Rubin




I write about my own experiences and what works (or does not) for me. Nothing I write is to be taken as medical advice.

Only your health care provider, personal physician,Disclaimer:
I am not a doctor - I don't even play one on TV! This
or pharmacist can provide you with advice on what is safe and effective for your unique needs.








Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Lazy Day

If you will diligently listen to the voice of the LORD your God, and will do that which is right in his sight, and will give ear to his commandments, and keep all his statutes, I will put none of these diseases on you, which I have brought on the Egyptians: for I am the LORD that heals you.  - Exodus 15:26

Well, I'm well into my routine of taking an additional dose of metformin.  Each morning for the last couple of weeks I've been astounded that I did not have a 3-digit blood sugar reading!  It was actually 92 which is absolutely unheard of for me!  I was so thrilled, I had to do a happy dance! 

 Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.
Robert Maynard Hutchins

Yesterday I spent a lot of time reading and watching DVD's instead of exercising like I should have.  I felt guilty because my stationary bike kept calling to me from the other side of the room.  I stayed firmly planted in the recliner and did not heed its call.  I kept my hand against the side of my face so I would not be able to see the bike in my peripheral vision - as if to say, "I don't see you over there!"   

To make up for my laziness, I plan to ride my bike today.  There's no time like the present to hop back on the exercise wagon and start moving forward again (literally).  I just took a little break, but I have to resume business as usual today!  Just because my metformin is doing the job it's supposed to do, that doesn't mean that I can just sit back and not do my part.  Besides, I don't like how I feel when I do absolutely nothing.  My leg is really beginning to hurt again as well.  It actually feels better after I've exercised - weird as that sounds.  It seems like resting it would make it feel better, but when I work it, that is what really helps the most.  The cold weather seems to make my leg feel better as well - weird as that sounds!

It makes sense that the increased dose of metformin would make my fasting blood sugar numbers better.  When I was just taking just one pill a day, it was not enough to cover me clear through the night - so my fasting sugars were sometimes 200 or over!  There were some mornings I'd wake up with a migraine headache and have very high blood pressure and high blood sugar.  I spent a lot of time praying that God would spare me from a stroke or a heart attack.  He did and I'm thankful. 

At least the changes in diet have not gone by the wayside.  I'm still eating five small meals every day - breakfast (protein shake), snack, lunch, snack, dinner.  I'm still eating a high-alkaline diet with lean protein thrown in and water with lemon.  I'm very comfortable in my new healthy food rut. 

I have not stepped on the scale yet.  I'm scared that I'll find out I have not lost any weight - or heaven forbid - gained!  The scale I own is a doctor's scale and is located in the workout room.  My large and bulky scale and I have a love-hate relationship.  I love it and it hates me back.  I dust it and make sure it works correctly - and this is how it thanks me.  That's gratitude for ya!

Inevitably I will have to step on the scale at some point.  I won't weigh until I've gotten back in my exercise groove.  After a couple of good workouts - then maybe I won't feel like such a slug - then I'll face the dreaded scale. 

I've been on a diet for two weeks and all I've lost is two weeks.  - Totie Fields

You know, I get to thinking - it's only thirty pounds!  For Pete's sake - it may as well be a hundred and thirty - because it's so darned slow coming off!  Stupid hormones anyhow!  I just don't understand how I could have lost forty pounds so "easily" - and now that I have thirty more to take off - it's like an impossible task!  The weight does not want to leave.  I can't make it any more clear that it's not welcome - but it doesn't care

Well - I keep hearing from my diabetic friends that my additional dose of metformin will aid in my weight loss.  I have noticed a decrease in my appetite since starting the second dose.  That is definitely in my favor - and helpful in my effort to lose weight.  I just need to get back on that exercise wagon so at the very least I can do something helpful for my neuropathy.  I sure don't want that pain, numbness and tingling in my leg to increase!  Being inactive is like asking for trouble.  I've come too far in my journey to ask for trouble with my leg now!  

The chiropractic adjustments help, but the bulk of the work is up to me, and I intend to do everything I'm supposed to in order to keep the neuropathy at bay.  My chiropractor asks just two things of me - to exercise every day for a half hour, and stretch the nerve.  That's not too much to ask so I have to do it!  Stretch and walk or ride my bike.  I can do this! 

I still ask for your prayers - and am thankful for all the love and support I get from all my "D" friends!  There really is strength in numbers and with diabetes, knowledge is power!  I thank you all for sharing information with me that helps me when I go in to see my doctor!  I'm thankful I do not have to navigate this vessel alone!

This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends if you do what I command you. No longer do I call you servants, for the servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all that I have heard from my Father I have made known to you.   - John 15:12-15  

Since I apparently need to kick it into high gear and get back on track, I found just the music that can do that!

http://youtu.be/YIZ9KYeFfLk

http://youtu.be/k29-4ZMPpCY 
 
 
Today is FIRE PREVENTION DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

 

 

No comments: