DISCLAIMER:

live with physical challenges.
I am NOT a DOCTOR!!! I don't even play one on TV!!! It is my goal to live a more healthy lifestyle. Living well and being happy is what this blog is all about.

"Nothing,' wrote Tolstoy, 'can make our life, or the lives of other people, more
beautiful than perpetual kindness."

- Gretchen Rubin




I write about my own experiences and what works (or does not) for me. Nothing I write is to be taken as medical advice.

Only your health care provider, personal physician,Disclaimer:
I am not a doctor - I don't even play one on TV! This
or pharmacist can provide you with advice on what is safe and effective for your unique needs.








Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Lessons from Lemons

I love fresh citrus and always keep lemons, limes, and oranges on hand; they come in handy for spritzing up quickly grilled meats, sea foods, and vegetables, especially when followed up by a quick drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. 
- Emeril Lagasse

 Okay, how many of you have one of those bottles of so-called "real" lemon juice?  

Well, I'll be honest, I we used to buy the largest, cheapest bottle of lemon juice we could get!  My thinking used to be, if for some reason I can't get to the market to get fresh lemons (let's face it, you can't exactly stock up on them), I would at least have lemon juice in the house in a pinch.

But is there seriously any reasonable comparison between the lemon juice in a bottle and a real lemon???   When it comes to seasoning food, to use real lemon is just as important as using real herbs!  There's no substitute for the real thing. 
 
We are living in a world today where lemonade is made from artificial flavors and furniture polish is made from real lemons. - Alfred Newman

The fact is, once you give up junk food and begin to dine instead of graze, it follows that you become more picky about ingredients and you acquire a taste for fresh foods and seasonings and prefer them.    

I have good news for all my diabetic friends about lemon juice.  Freshly squeezed lemon juice actually lowers the insulin response to carbohydrates in foods!  In other words, it slows down the time it takes a meal to leave your stomach, causing less of a spike in blood sugar!!!

No, that doesn't mean you can eat a box of donuts as long as you drink lemon water with them!  Nice try.  But this is huge because if you do overindulge on some complex carbohydrates at dinner (which we all do at times), the lemon water buys you some time and saves you from having such a severe spike in blood sugar.

So it's not only important to drink plenty of water throughout the day, but if you add freshly squeezed lemon juice to it, it packs more of a punch in your favor.  It makes bland water taste better as well. 

Enjoy "Lemon Tree" by Peter, Paul & Mary.

http://youtu.be/MLhYghzNfII



It's another foodie holiday!!!  Today is CHOCOLATE MILKSHAKE DAY!!!!!!!!!!!  Enjoy one with someone you love - one shake and two straws...  aww!!!  That way you get half the calories and get a romantic moment with your significant other. 



 









No comments: