DISCLAIMER:

live with physical challenges.
I am NOT a DOCTOR!!! I don't even play one on TV!!! It is my goal to live a more healthy lifestyle. Living well and being happy is what this blog is all about.

"Nothing,' wrote Tolstoy, 'can make our life, or the lives of other people, more
beautiful than perpetual kindness."

- Gretchen Rubin




I write about my own experiences and what works (or does not) for me. Nothing I write is to be taken as medical advice.

Only your health care provider, personal physician,Disclaimer:
I am not a doctor - I don't even play one on TV! This
or pharmacist can provide you with advice on what is safe and effective for your unique needs.








Thursday, September 13, 2012

Keep Walking for Wellness

It's a beautiful day in the Land of Oz!  Mild temperatures and not a lot of wind, which is very unusual for Kansas!  So, that means I get to walk outdoors today!  Walking is just one part of my lifestyle, but it seems to be the most effective part.  It keeps my blood sugar happy, which let's face it - is the goal in all of this, right?  While I'm walking, I imagine myself at my next doctor's appointment when they test my blood.  I imagine how happy I feel when I'm told my HbA1c is "normal"!  That is the image that encourages me to keep going.

I like to change the route I take often so I don't get bored and ultimately quit.  Today I decided to walk around through my neighborhood a little bit.  That's not always such a good plan because once in a while I get caught by someone who wants to chat.  One thing I have learned is that I really should not stop during my walk.  Once I start I need to just keep going - but of course I don't want to be rude either. 

I got lucky today - no one seemed to be out in their front yards and ready to have a conversation.  I was able to accomplish my exercise uninterrupted - yay!  I'm all about rewarding myself for doing something good.  When I got home I fixed my favorite green smoothie and went in to take a nice long soak in the tub! 

It's important to get some form of exercise every day for about a half hour when you have Type 2 Diabetes.  On those walks I think about my day, and I plan what I will write about.  When I walk, it's a nice time to relax and renew my body, mind and spirit.

Speaking of renewal for our spirit, my friend Lucinda Berry Hill, author of Coffee With Jesus, has graciously given me permission to use this beautiful poem she wrote for today's blog post.  We all need a reminder once in a while about our spiritual walk, and with Whom we walk. 

 Walking
 
Walking in the son

Gives me energy for the day,

Reveals God’s beauty,

And causes me to pray.

Walking in the son

Puts my face aglow,

Shines light on my path

So I know how to go.

Walking in the son

Helps me feel stronger,

Puts a spring in my step,

And helps me go longer.

Walking in the son,

There’s no other way.

To live a blessed life,

I walk every day.
 
 
Wellness most days is as simple as a short walk on a nice day, taking a little power nap, and choosing some green vegetables instead of something more processed.  It's not a complicated lifestyle to adopt.  If it was, I would not be doing it. 

Here are some powerful positive affirmations to help you in your wellness journey.

http://youtu.be/ia5nAojCFGM



Today is POSITIVE THINKING DAY!!!!!!!!!!  So as you embrace a more healthy lifestyle, begin thinking "I want to do this for my health" instead of thinking "I have to do this for my health".  It makes such a difference!  Keep your eyes on the prize - the end result is a happy HbA1c! 


  



 

 

No comments: