DISCLAIMER:

live with physical challenges.
I am NOT a DOCTOR!!! I don't even play one on TV!!! It is my goal to live a more healthy lifestyle. Living well and being happy is what this blog is all about.

"Nothing,' wrote Tolstoy, 'can make our life, or the lives of other people, more
beautiful than perpetual kindness."

- Gretchen Rubin




I write about my own experiences and what works (or does not) for me. Nothing I write is to be taken as medical advice.

Only your health care provider, personal physician,Disclaimer:
I am not a doctor - I don't even play one on TV! This
or pharmacist can provide you with advice on what is safe and effective for your unique needs.








Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Laughing My Bacon Off

An affirmation to say everyday: The healing power of God is working in me right now. Every day I get better and better in every way.  - Joyce Meyer

I've enjoyed so many great conversations with my friends in the Diabetic Online Community (DOC).  Some have been very informative in nature, while others have been, um... shall we say, less than informative.  Okay they've been plumb silly!  But, we need to take our head out of the "D" game once in a while.  I'm not suggesting total denial of the disease or the disease process because as we all know, that is not the way to handle (or rather, not handle) diabetes.  We just need a few short breaks from the stress of thinking about it.

Today I posted a quote on the Wellness Soliloquy facebook wall:
 
Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon.  - Doug Larson
 
In a matter of nano-seconds, there was a response to the quote. 
 
You can always add some bacon bits to any veggie dish, and salads too. Lol.
 
I definitely take cues from this person.  He is a shining example of what Type 2 Diabetics can accomplish.  He's been on oral medications in the past, but has lost enough weight that he is now controlling his blood sugar through diet and exercise alone!  I told him one day that he is living my dream!  It's true, my goal is to get such good control that I no longer need to be on any medications to help - but I so desperately want to maintain good control with diet and exercise alone!  I really want to get there!
 
So, his comment got me to wondering - do we not eat our vegetables like we should because we don't add a little bacon to them?  I have fixed Brussels Sprouts with a few bits of bacon in the past, and it did make them much more tasty.  I think there's a point to be made here.  Maybe I should add just a little bit of the good stuff to vegetables and salads! 
 
When you deny yourself certain foods, you're setting yourself up for failure.  You can't keep that pace up for very long - you will eventually want to binge on that one food that you've told yourself you'll never eat again! 

I went on a "no gravy" trip for a long time.  When we would go into a restaurant and I would see someone at another table eating something with gravy, I wanted to jump up and run over to the  table and say, "Oh please - just give me one spoonful of your gravy - I'll pay you whatever you want - just please - yeah, just spoon it right there in my cupped hands - that's fine!"
 
I stayed on that wagon for - oh, about a year!  But - it was a miserable year!  Eventually you just have to give in to your craving.  You just can't eat that way every day.  There is a delicate balance in an alkaline lifestyle - but I'm finally realizing that all-out denial should never be a part of that balance!  Denial just makes you miserable inside and it's a bit depressing.  At this point, I'm going to quote my friend, the diabetic educator:
 
Having diabetes does not mean you have to cut any particular food out of your diet.  It does, however, mean that you can under no circumstances eat everything you crave all in one day.  - Tasha Cooper
 
So, I'm going to keep balance in my diet.  I understand that the more alkaline the food is, the healthier it is for our cells.  If I can maintain that kind of diet most of the time it will be a good idea.  I try to maintain an 80/20% ratio every day.  But I won't lie - I look forward to the 20% when it's time to fork over the  biscuits and gravy!

I'm going to worry less and enjoy more.  Enjoy "Fireflies" by Owl City.

http://youtu.be/Fi-nEY8kL_0
 
 Today is JOHNNY APPLESEED DAY!!!!!!!!!!  Johnny Appleseed was an American pioneer nurseryman who introduced apple trees to large parts of Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois, including the northern counties of present day West Virginia. He became an American legend while still alive, due to his kind, generous ways, his leadership in conservation, and the symbolic importance he attributed to apples. He is also known for winning in several apple eating contests including the grand apple challenge of 1785. Enjoy your favorite apple today!





 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments: