DISCLAIMER:

live with physical challenges.
I am NOT a DOCTOR!!! I don't even play one on TV!!! It is my goal to live a more healthy lifestyle. Living well and being happy is what this blog is all about.

"Nothing,' wrote Tolstoy, 'can make our life, or the lives of other people, more
beautiful than perpetual kindness."

- Gretchen Rubin




I write about my own experiences and what works (or does not) for me. Nothing I write is to be taken as medical advice.

Only your health care provider, personal physician,Disclaimer:
I am not a doctor - I don't even play one on TV! This
or pharmacist can provide you with advice on what is safe and effective for your unique needs.








Friday, September 14, 2012

D & E Tied the Knot Like it or Not

The Definition Of Insanity is Doing The Same Thing Over And Over Again And Expecting Different Results.  - Ben Franklin


One half hour of exercise is as
beneficial as 10 units of insulin
Congratulations are in order.  Have you heard the news?  Diabetes and exercise are married!  Now, whether you choose to believe it's a marriage made in heaven - well that depends on your attitude toward diabetes and exercise.  Studies show that in order to maintain good blood glucose control, one should never be far away from the other. 

It's very difficult to keep your blood glucose happy without a planned daily routine that includes some form of movement for at least a half hour.  This is my new lifestyle - I'm trying to embrace it with a smile on my face!  It's only a half hour a day!  Think about it - that's not a lot of time to invest in my own health.  I am worth spending a mere half hour doing some type of movement to keep my body working like it should.

Should a person eat before a workout?  Well, I never eat an actual meal before exercising because the body slows digestion as energy is sent to  muscles for the workout.  If you eat too much before a strenuous workout, the result can be cramping or an upset stomach.  

An easy workout, like a moderate walk or a ride on a stationary bike will not have the effect of the more vigorous workout, so if you would like to eat a small meal beforehand it's probably safe to do so.  It's really a matter of getting to know what your body reacts to.  I'm not suggesting that you become a guinea pig and use the trial and error method.  Be smart and test your blood sugar before you begin and make an informed decision so you don't end up having problems.

Today, for instance, my blood sugar was running a bit on the high side before exercise, so I skipped eating and took a chance.  I did just fine.  When I was done I tested again and everything was where it needed to be.  Let the numbers dictate what you eat or don't eat.  Don't just eat something because it's a habit to do so before a workout.

There are other days when my sugars are running extremely low and I would not dare go workout without a snack.  Make sure your snack is healthy.  That should go without saying, but...  my favorite pre-workout snack is a piece of fruit and some string cheese.   

So you can either accept this marriage between diabetes and exercise or you can ignore it.  Either way, this is a couple that will never split up no matter what you think about it.  If you continue to try to lower blood sugar without physical activity it will most certainly be an uphill battle that involves a lot of medication. 

If you make a decision not to invest in a good pair of walking shoes, then you will be spending the money on more medication.  In some cases, the shoes are cheaper and there are no side effects with the walking shoes, as long as they are comfortable!

My friend the diabetic educator tells me that a half hour of movement equals about 10 units of insulin.  That's how good activity is for your body!  Exercise actually improves your body because it develops a better sensitivity when it comes to insulin, which in turn gives you a fighting chance to maintain normal blood glucose readings.

This week's challenge - if you are at all able to do so, get up and move for a half hour every day.  You know, sometimes I test my blood sugar before going for a walk and I don't know whether I should eat something or not.  Sometimes I'm just on the border and it could go either way.  That's when I grab a Ziploc bag and put a few nuts in it - and I take off!  If you're in doubt, always be on the safe side and have something with you in case you have a low.  Being prepared is a good idea because diabetes is good at catching you off-guard sometimes.

Enjoy this wonderful weather.  I always know Autumn is around the corner when I see berries on my tree in the front yard.  The berries are on the tree, so I know we probably won't have T-shirt weather much longer.   

 The only discipline that lasts is self-discipline.  - Bum Phillips

Eric Clapton sings "Autumn Leaves".  Very nice! 

http://youtu.be/C8cK5vCLI9s 




Today is NATIONAL CREAM-FILLED DONUT DAY!!!!!  My advice is - if you do plan to indulge, have just one and don't forget to work it off!

No comments: