DISCLAIMER:

live with physical challenges.
I am NOT a DOCTOR!!! I don't even play one on TV!!! It is my goal to live a more healthy lifestyle. Living well and being happy is what this blog is all about.

"Nothing,' wrote Tolstoy, 'can make our life, or the lives of other people, more
beautiful than perpetual kindness."

- Gretchen Rubin




I write about my own experiences and what works (or does not) for me. Nothing I write is to be taken as medical advice.

Only your health care provider, personal physician,Disclaimer:
I am not a doctor - I don't even play one on TV! This
or pharmacist can provide you with advice on what is safe and effective for your unique needs.








Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Diabetics are Naturally Sweet

It's been nearly 25 years since I graduated from high school.  I can't believe so much time has passed, and there is so much muddy water under that bridge!  A few days ago I was making an attempt to dust my basement but got sidetracked when I spotted my old yearbooks and began looking through them.

My friends all signed my book, and nearly every signature was preceded with the words "Stay Sweet".  I'll bet if you'd look at what I wrote in their books, it would say the same thing.  I was not exactly one to want to stand out from the crowd back then.  I'm sure I did not write anything unique and different.

Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music.  - Ronald Reagan
If only they knew just how sweet I would become!  Of course, I know that statement refers to my personality and not my blood sugar.  Through the years I have learned that there are two scenarios that drastically affect my mood - my ability to "stay sweet". 

  1. If I go for a long period of time without food.  Getting too hungry makes my blood sugar drop dangerously low and causes me to get very irritable and cranky.  If I ignore those red flags, then I begin to get irritable, cranky and confused.  If I continue to ignore those red flags, then I get very weak in the knees and usually fall to the ground!  Not good.  Um...  no.   
  2. If I eat too much food at one time.  Eating too much food at one time puts a strain on the internal organs of a diabetic.  There's an overload of food to process which makes me feel tired and lethargic.  My brain feels almost numb and my eyelids literally can not stay open.  It's like a person who gets drunk - I just have to go sleep off my binge.
 So, what is the answer?  I'm glad you asked!  There are a whole host of different tools that come in handy to avoid one extreme or the other.  Keeping a journal of what you eat sometimes helps.  Being aware of everything you eat can help you plan meals and snacks.

The best thing you can do to keep your sweet personality (to stay sweet) is to stay on a regular eating schedule!  Fortunately, I do not work outside my home, so this is a very easy piece of advice for me to use.  I eat breakfast at a certain time and have a scheduled morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack and finally dinner.  

To stay on a regular exercise routine is also beneficial for avoiding extreme blood sugar issues.  Every body is different, but for me, exercise helps my blood sugar remain in the normal range most of the time.  Exercise in itself is a mood enhancer and that alone is worthwhile.  It only takes a half hour of activity every day to keep me in the happy zone.  That helps me to stay sweet!

Sometimes if I just have a little case of the blues, it's a good idea for me to either get out of the house (away from the fridge) or phone a friend and talk for a while.  Avoiding those binges is crucial and if you recognize that you are just a little lonely and need someone to talk to, it could be a simple case of needing to reconnect with other people. 

The truth is that life is delicious, horrible, charming, frightful, sweet, bitter, and that is everything.  - Anatole France

Diabetics are naturally sweet.  Mosquitoes love us when we go to the lake and it's almost like they can sense who in the crowd has the sweetest blood.  Research really should be done on that.  I'd like to know how they instinctively know that I'm the one whose blood will be sweetest.

Having sweet blood is one thing, but keeping a sweet disposition and pleasant personality is another.  It is possible to maintain a balance and avoid the side effects from blood sugar that is either too low or too high.  With just a little planning and preparation on your part, you can stay sweet! 

Diabetic Relationship Monster! 

http://youtu.be/bMPRZXY5ZCQ



Did you know that today is PLUM PUDDING DAY??????  If you like plum pudding, today is the day to enjoy (in moderation, of course)!







  

 
 

No comments: