DISCLAIMER:

live with physical challenges.
I am NOT a DOCTOR!!! I don't even play one on TV!!! It is my goal to live a more healthy lifestyle. Living well and being happy is what this blog is all about.

"Nothing,' wrote Tolstoy, 'can make our life, or the lives of other people, more
beautiful than perpetual kindness."

- Gretchen Rubin




I write about my own experiences and what works (or does not) for me. Nothing I write is to be taken as medical advice.

Only your health care provider, personal physician,Disclaimer:
I am not a doctor - I don't even play one on TV! This
or pharmacist can provide you with advice on what is safe and effective for your unique needs.








Wednesday, December 5, 2012

This Holiday Not All Things Are Helpful

Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.  1 Corinthians 6:19-20

 
How many different arguments have been made with this verse?  I've heard several - ranging from smoking to what you watch on TV.  Have you ever thought about the sort of food and beverage you feed your body and brain being argued with this verse? 
 
We use common sense with vehicles we drive.  I don't put apple juice in my gas tank, do you?  Yet we don't think twice about some of the junk we put in our bodies.  It just does not make sense to me how we justify our behavior, especially during the holiday season! 

I know this verse is not only referring to eating - but to immorality in general.  We basically have a free pass to eat and drink whatever we want according to the New Testament.  But then we read this from Paul:

All things are lawful for me, but not all things are helpful.  All things are lawful for me, but I will not be enslaved by anything.   - 1 Corinthians 6:12

Some would argue that the act of restricting a diet is being enslaved to the diet.  Others would say that the act of restricting a diet is discipline and to be admired.  Surely if we belong to Christ, we should be disciplined in what we eat and drink, shouldn't we?  We can't just run with wild abandon eating all the Christmas candy we want, can we? 


I submit that we can not sustain good health on Christmas candy, especially if we are diabetic.  One little part of this scripture goes through my mind over and over:  

Not all things are helpful. 

So, it's lawful and legal, but that doesn't mean it's the best thing to eat!  Again, I'm applying this to food - but it's to be applied to other things as well.  Any action you consider should be shown under this microscope before proceeding.  It's a pretty good test as to whether it's a go or a no-go.  Once you determine if something is legal - ask yourself if it's helpful.  This can really change your way of thinking about not only food, but everything else as well.

I challenge you this holiday season to ask yourself if what you're eating or drinking is helpful.  Don't just say it's legal - but before you consume it, be able to say it's legal and it's helpful.

I invite you to read my article, "The Voice of One PWD"!
http://ezinearticles.com/?The-Voice-Of-One-PWD&id=7189628

What needs to get cut out of your diet?

http://youtu.be/bt-eZTLqGmQ



Today is BATHTUB PARTY DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Hmm...  not sure what that means, but - have a great day!


No comments: