DISCLAIMER:

live with physical challenges.
I am NOT a DOCTOR!!! I don't even play one on TV!!! It is my goal to live a more healthy lifestyle. Living well and being happy is what this blog is all about.

"Nothing,' wrote Tolstoy, 'can make our life, or the lives of other people, more
beautiful than perpetual kindness."

- Gretchen Rubin




I write about my own experiences and what works (or does not) for me. Nothing I write is to be taken as medical advice.

Only your health care provider, personal physician,Disclaimer:
I am not a doctor - I don't even play one on TV! This
or pharmacist can provide you with advice on what is safe and effective for your unique needs.








Monday, December 10, 2012

Long Lines While Christmas Shopping

If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain.  - Maya Angelou

I ran a seemingly innocent errand today.  You know how sometimes you say, "Oh, I'm just going to rush in and rush out and grab this?"  Why is it at our Walmart, there are like 64 lanes and only 2 of them are open?  I had 12 people in line ahead of me.  If it was not an item that I really had to buy, I would have just put it down and left.  It was a Christmas gift for my friend - and it went on sale.  Need I say more?   Well - I could feel my blood pressure, blood sugar and blood everything else rising!

How much does blood sugar have to do with mood? 

Think about the answer to that before you go on the defensive.  You can't tell me it doesn't have anything to do with your mood, which in turn determines your attitude toward everything, because I am a diabetic too - and I know!  Don't even try to squirm your way out of this one!

Anyone who lives with an uncontrolled diabetic deserves a medal. They need a lot of prayer - and a medal.

It's no trick loving somebody at their best.  Love is loving them at their worst. 
- Tom Stoppard
 
Living with a diabetic when they are uncontrolled is like living with a ticking time bomb.  You have absolutely no idea when the bomb will explode, but when it does, you have to keep yourself composed and realize that it's the disease causing the explosion and not take the explosion personally.  Is that easier said than done?  Yes. 
Uncontrolled Diabetic Haiku  - by Linda Lou
 
love to complain
gripe about everything
the cost of test strips
the pain of testing 
love to hate life

This wicked disease affects absolutely everything about us, including our emotions, unfortunately.  When my blood sugar gets too high, I become Mrs. Hyde and I don't recognize myself sometimes.  I tend to implode rather than explode.  It just sort of builds up inside me and when I've had it...  I just sort of...  BOOM!  Then I have to run off somewhere and cry by myself.  Beat myself up a little bit... ya know.  How could I have done that????  Well, if my blood sugar is too high, should I really have to ask?  No.

There's the other extreme as well - when my blood sugar is too low and I experience hypoglycemia.  I call this being "hangry" - it's a lovely attractive mix between being hungry and being angry.  So to be too low is just as bad if not worse than being too high.  It seems some days I just cannot win!

Here's another quote by Maya Angelou to remember as I deal with other people in life.  This is another reason I want to keep my blood sugar under control.  I want to make other people feel good about themselves and positive in their own journey with diabetes.
 
I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.  - Maya Angelou

There's not a soul on the planet who does not need to feel validated and valued to some extent.  If I take care of my health, then I have what I need to care for the others in my life who need my help.

I've written an article entitled, "Positive Attitudes and Actions go a Long Way".  Take a look and let me know what you think!

http://ezinearticles.com/?Positive-Attitudes-and-Actions-Go-a-Long-Way&id=7177699

Does blood sugar affect mood?  You bet it does!


Speaking of treating others as we would like to be treated, today is HUMAN RIGHTS DAY!!!!!!!!!  Remember the Golden Rule and have a great day!




No comments: