DISCLAIMER:

live with physical challenges.
I am NOT a DOCTOR!!! I don't even play one on TV!!! It is my goal to live a more healthy lifestyle. Living well and being happy is what this blog is all about.

"Nothing,' wrote Tolstoy, 'can make our life, or the lives of other people, more
beautiful than perpetual kindness."

- Gretchen Rubin




I write about my own experiences and what works (or does not) for me. Nothing I write is to be taken as medical advice.

Only your health care provider, personal physician,Disclaimer:
I am not a doctor - I don't even play one on TV! This
or pharmacist can provide you with advice on what is safe and effective for your unique needs.








Saturday, December 8, 2012

Encouragement - The Rare Jewel

Never discourage anyone ... who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.  - Plato
 
The amount of encouragement I find on various diabetic support group sites comes in waves.  There are a few sparks of encouragement and then there is another more negative post that should have stayed in bed and slept a few more hours.  That one discouraging post has the capability to wreck about three of the more encouraging ones with one fell swoop!  Encouragement to another human spirit is like a rare, precious jewel.  There is so much darkness, hate, bitterness and an abundance of cruelty in our world.  When a person is fighting a life-threatening disease, don't you think at the very least we could find it in our hearts to show a bit of encouragement to them as they engage in battle?  Is it really too much to ask?  Really?????

Today I was asked if I ever got to the point where I accepted diabetes.  My immediate response was yes and no.  I accept the fact that I can't live on junk food and expect my body to be healthy.  I accept the fact that my diet and exercise routine has to change drastically if I expect to live the long and healthy life I wish to live.  I accept the fact that I have to drink only water with lemon and give up sodas and other beverages if I want to have healthy happy kidneys.  I'm slowly accepting the fact that I will probably be on diabetes medication for the duration.  I still hope that it gets cut back, but that hasn't happened yet.

I realize that I have to make changes in order to turn this truck around.  I have planned the work and now I'm working the plan.  So, if you're asking me if I have made a decision to make no changes and let this disease take my life prematurely, the answer is...  heck no!

One post remarked that we talk about diabetes too much.  This person alluded to the constant blood tests involved every single day then said, "Shouldn't that be enough?  Do we have to keep talking about the disease on top of that?" 

My short answer is "Yep!  We do have to keep talking about the disease!"  Speaking for myself, I have to talk about it because it helps to keep my goal in front of me.  Why is that important?  Imagine running in a race and not knowing where the finish line was located.  What if we just ran around in circles over and over with no end in sight?  Would you be more likely to give up and quit the race under that circumstance?  I would.  I would most definitely give up and say "What's the use?" 



The more I read, the more convinced I am that with some discipline, Type 2 Diabetes can be managed with diet and exercise alone.  I don't call it diabesity - as is the trend these days.  I still think that's just one more rude "label" that's been slapped on Type 2, and it's not a bit encouraging, btw! 

Don't coddle us - but encourage us in our battle.  I refer to it as a battle because that's exactly what it is.  We fight every day to make healthy choices for ourselves.  We take your encouragement and it strengthens us to make one more healthy choice and add more minutes to our lives.  All of these good choices add up for us - and when you encourage us along the way it makes so much difference in an already difficult situation.

That's why I keep writing about diabetes.  I want to live a long, healthy life and I want that for you, too.  I want to encourage you to do more than just what is expected.  We all have to test.  I want to encourage you to make it your heart's desire to have good control of your Type 2 Diabetes.  

Don't just test - make control your quest!

You may want to take a look at this article, "The Most Creative Ways for Diabetics to Fight Food Cravings".

http://ezinearticles.com/?The-Most-Creative-Ways-For-Diabetics-To-Fight-Food-Cravings&id=7187963   

Here's an idea for the perfect Christmas present!

http://youtu.be/JLM5_Ijyd18



Today is TAKE IT IN THE EAR DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Hey - I promise I do NOT make this stuff up!
 



No comments: