DISCLAIMER:

live with physical challenges.
I am NOT a DOCTOR!!! I don't even play one on TV!!! It is my goal to live a more healthy lifestyle. Living well and being happy is what this blog is all about.

"Nothing,' wrote Tolstoy, 'can make our life, or the lives of other people, more
beautiful than perpetual kindness."

- Gretchen Rubin




I write about my own experiences and what works (or does not) for me. Nothing I write is to be taken as medical advice.

Only your health care provider, personal physician,Disclaimer:
I am not a doctor - I don't even play one on TV! This
or pharmacist can provide you with advice on what is safe and effective for your unique needs.








Thursday, November 15, 2012

Professionals and Social Media

When you walk into your health care professional's office, do you ever feel a sense of "disconnect" with them?  If you're like me, you don't go to them often enough to establish a real connection with them.  Every time I go in to see my General Practitioner, I feel as though we're "starting over" socially.  I feel as though by the time I leave her office, I've re-established a relationship, but it's frustrating in a sense because the next time I go in to see her, the relationship has to be re-established all over again.  It's a never-ending cycle, and it wastes precious time for both me and my doctor.

How much better would you feel about entering your health care professionals office if you had been in contact with them via facebook or other social media?  What if you felt a sort of bond with them because you've stayed in touch?  Would you be more relaxed when you go in to see them?  I know I certainly would.

"My biggest reason for health care to use social media is to have a strong relationship with your patients", says Cheryl Gnad, Social Media Marketing Consultant.  "Your patients need to trust you and LIKE you.  You know, do you (the doctor) have that great 'bedside manner' that we all crave when we don't feel good?  The health care professional must convey their care to the patient."

Gnad goes on to say, "Unless your clients/patients are so 'unhealthy' that they see their health care professional every week, the doctor needs social media to bridge the gap.  Also, the doctor's 'adoring' fans are all wanting to know ways to get help without fear of being charged for 'health tips'.  The client/patient doesn't know how to ask for those quick tips, they think the doctor is too busy.  With social media, the dialog with their clients/patients and among the doctor's fans themselves, can be a source of information for great health."

She makes a very good point! If I'm not feeling my best, the last thing I want to do is socialize with my doctor and have to "work" at rebuilding a rapport with her! When I am feeling better and am able, I like to connect via social media with my health care team and keep in touch with them. I enjoy all the helpful advice and tips for staying well they offer on facebook. It makes me feel like I'm more than just a case number on a file. It personalizes me and my relationship with my entire team of professionals.

My chiropractor's office uses facebook as well, which provides me with a sense of belonging and gives me useful information not only about back issues, but diet and exercise tips and an update on events their office is involved in. 

When asked about the privacy issue, Gnad said, "If it is too personal, the doctor can give the patient a call!  What a great personal touch!  A win-win situation always!"

Professional Use of Social Media.

http://youtu.be/0cBMIJYiCmw


Well, we knew this day had to come along sometime, didn't we?  It's NATIONAL CLEAN OUT YOUR REFRIGERATOR DAY!!!!!!!!!  I know you are just as excited about it as I am!



No comments: