DISCLAIMER:

live with physical challenges.
I am NOT a DOCTOR!!! I don't even play one on TV!!! It is my goal to live a more healthy lifestyle. Living well and being happy is what this blog is all about.

"Nothing,' wrote Tolstoy, 'can make our life, or the lives of other people, more
beautiful than perpetual kindness."

- Gretchen Rubin




I write about my own experiences and what works (or does not) for me. Nothing I write is to be taken as medical advice.

Only your health care provider, personal physician,Disclaimer:
I am not a doctor - I don't even play one on TV! This
or pharmacist can provide you with advice on what is safe and effective for your unique needs.








Monday, November 19, 2012

Hope in my Heart and my Home

 
To live without hope is to cease to live.   - Fyodor Dostoevsky

On our facebook page, I posted a question:  If there was one thought about life that you would share, what would it be?  I got some great answers!  The more you know, the less you know.  Most of the things you worry about never come to pass.  Don't judge people before you get to know them.  Something good always comes out of something bad - you just have to hang in there long enough to see the good.  Always treat people the way you want to be treated, help someone somehow daily. 

I totally agree with all of these statements describing life.  But when you have suffered a great deal of loss in your life, it's easy to lose that last thread of hope.  The silver lining sometimes seems a bit tarnished through tears of saddness and loss.  But there are some fantastic support groups on facebook. 

I am honored to be a member of a number of various private support groups.  If there is one thing that binds every human being together regardless of background, race, religion or political views, it is that we have all experienced grief at one point or the other.  If you have not lost anyone close to you, just wait, chances are you will. 

It's been said that death is the great equalizer.  I would add that grief is a common thread that runs through all of us who are left behind.  Picking up the pieces after death is difficult for most of us, but to have to do it alone is worse yet.  To be part of a group that shares in your day to day stuff - the thoughts you are thinking about the one who's gone, or maybe something strange happens and you want to share with a group of folks who won't judge you or think you've completely lost your marbles - that support is marvelous and invaluable! 

The purpose of a support group is just that... support!  To use that venue for any other reason than to uplift and encourage a fellow human being in their time of suffering is a gross misuse of the group as a whole and quite unfair to others who come to the group seeking positive feedback and encouragement.

A few months ago while we were out of town, we stopped at a nearby town to have lunch at a quaint little Amish restaurant.  They also have a little gift shop in the back where they sell the popular Amish books, Amish crafts and the most beautiful quilts I've ever seen!  I was just looking around at different things when an envelope caught my eye.  It said "Hope" - it was a sachet envelope! 

I thought how much I was really in need of it!  I always wondered what HOPE smelled like - I was under the impression that it did not have a scent.  I was wrong - it smells like...  well - hope.  So fresh and spicy, it awakens my senses! Isn't that what the scent of hope should do???  I can't imagine this scent having a better name. 

We are troubled, but we have hope and tremendous promise. - Sara Shandler

Now there is hope all over my house - from my closets to my celadon cedar chest!  Once in a while I stop in my tracks as I'm walking through my house and catch a strong whiff of hope!  I'm reminded that even though there are loved ones who are no longer here, I have to keep living and holding on to hope with both hands! 
       
I depend on God alone; I put my hope in him. He alone protects and saves me; he is my defender, and I shall never be defeated. My salvation and honor depend on God; he is my strong protector; he is my shelter.  — Psalm 62:5-8

The Vaters family reminds us to Rest in God.  Enjoy "Rest In Me" by Todd Vater and his family.
 
http://youtu.be/1s4z_HQpL-I
         




      



No comments: