DISCLAIMER:

live with physical challenges.
I am NOT a DOCTOR!!! I don't even play one on TV!!! It is my goal to live a more healthy lifestyle. Living well and being happy is what this blog is all about.

"Nothing,' wrote Tolstoy, 'can make our life, or the lives of other people, more
beautiful than perpetual kindness."

- Gretchen Rubin




I write about my own experiences and what works (or does not) for me. Nothing I write is to be taken as medical advice.

Only your health care provider, personal physician,Disclaimer:
I am not a doctor - I don't even play one on TV! This
or pharmacist can provide you with advice on what is safe and effective for your unique needs.








Monday, October 1, 2012

Today Is No "D" Day

I am no bird; and no net ensnares me: I am a free human being with an independent will.  ― Charlotte BrontëJane Eyre
 
Wow - I have to stop and think - is there something in my life besides - you know - "D"?  Well, it so happens there is something that I'd like to talk about.  Driving.  Driving?  Like, in a car, driving?  Yes! 
 
Think about it for a moment.  Driving is the last real bit of independence a person has.  If for some reason I could no longer drive, you may as well roll me up and throw me in the hole - because that would pretty much be the end of me.

There is a stubbornness about me that never can bear to be frightened at the will of others. My courage always rises at every attempt to intimidate me.
― Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

Vroom... Vroom!!!!!!!
 
Actually, it was not that long ago when I could not get behind the wheel to drive.  I'm not allowed to say why, since that would be talking about - you know, what we're not supposed to be talking about today.  But my leg was so numb that I could feel neither the gas pedal nor the brake pedal under my foot!  It was definitely the lowest point in my life to date.  My freedom had vanished!


So, I never take driving - aka independence - for granted!  For nearly a year I was at the mercy of my husband, who would take me to the chiropractor every other day for treatments.  He was so kind and patient with me.  But eventually, the day came when I said, "I'm going to try to drive myself today!"  It may sound like a small thing to you, but I assure you, it was no small thing to me.  Starved for freedom, I remember sitting in my car in the driver's seat, just feeling so happy, thankful and blessed that I was back in action and had my independence back!  I won't lie - it felt good! 

 Freedom (n.): To ask nothing. To expect nothing. To depend on nothing.
― Ayn Rand
, The Fountainhead

There are folks who do not have any idea what it feels like to have the privilege of driving taken away - and there are folks who just drive whether they have a numb foot or not.  I would not recommend that, by the way.  I was fortunate to have someone to take me where I needed to go, and I know that's not the case for everyone. 

So, be thankful for the ability to drive today - be grateful for independence!  It's a beautiful Autumn day - I think I'll go for a drive this afternoon - just because I can!  Where will I go, you ask?  I answer, "What possible difference does that make?  The mere fact that I have the option is what matters most of all!"

I do not think, sir, you have any right to command me, merely because you are older than I, or because you have seen more of the world than I have; your claim to superiority depends on the use you have made of your time and experience.  ― Charlotte Brontë, Jane Eyre

I thought we'd end today with The Chipmunk's great version of "Vroom Vroom, Start It Up!"  They're so awesome - and timeless - and cute!

http://youtu.be/KCNG0HXTHdw

Even though today we're not supposed to talk about "D", I want to remind you that the month of October is National Diabetes Awareness Month.  





Today is also WORLD VEGETARIAN DAY!!!!!!!!!  I have one friend in the DOC who will be thrilled to hear this great news - not!




 
 
 


No comments: