DISCLAIMER:

live with physical challenges.
I am NOT a DOCTOR!!! I don't even play one on TV!!! It is my goal to live a more healthy lifestyle. Living well and being happy is what this blog is all about.

"Nothing,' wrote Tolstoy, 'can make our life, or the lives of other people, more
beautiful than perpetual kindness."

- Gretchen Rubin




I write about my own experiences and what works (or does not) for me. Nothing I write is to be taken as medical advice.

Only your health care provider, personal physician,Disclaimer:
I am not a doctor - I don't even play one on TV! This
or pharmacist can provide you with advice on what is safe and effective for your unique needs.








Tuesday, October 16, 2012

The Case Against Fluoridation

If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water.  - Loran Eisely
 
Fluoride compounds are salts that form when the element, fluorine, combines with minerals in soil or rocks.

Possible health effects associated with fluoride in drinking water include:

The likelihood of bone fractures in adults who have been exposed to fluoridation over a lifetime. 

Pain and tenderness of joints. 

Children age 8 and younger exposed to excessive amounts of fluoride have a greater chance of developing pits in the tooth enamel, along with a range of cosmetic effects to teeth.

Skin discoloration

Tooth discoloration (dark spots)

Red, bleeding gums

How ironic, considering people want fluoridation to protect their children's teeth!  It's up to the Environmental Protection Agency to determine the exact level of contaminants in drinking water at which no adverse health effects are likely to occur.  The question becomes, can we trust the EPA's allowable margin of safety where water fluoridation is concerned?  Call me a skeptic - but I do not. 

In 20 short days, my city will vote on this issue of water fluoridation.  We would basically be trusting the EPA with our health.  EPA recommends secondary standards to water systems (to eliminate adverse affects) but does not require systems to comply.  Do people not realize that none of the guidelines the EPA set out there are actually enforced?  It is truly a matter of us trusting them to get it right.  Malfunction of water fluoridation equipment has happened several times, including a notable incident in Alaska.

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM199401133300203

So, let me get this straight.  We have a great big huge guard dog out in the front yard, but somebody has left that front gate WIDE OPEN!  Oh, okay, I feel so much better now!

To be honest, I'm not concerned with teeth and cavities.  I'm more concerned about ingesting fluoride into my body!  I've spoken with a lot of folks in my community who think that there is a link between fluoride and host of medical issues.  

Sometimes, too much of a "good" thing is not necessarily better - it's just, well... too much!  Too much fluoride causes some pretty wicked symptoms:

nausea
vomiting
diarrhea
abdominal pain
paresthesias

Oh yes, by all means let's add all of this on to our laundry list of possible sick days!  Really???

I believe that all our water has to be is - clean!  All we really need is good clean water.  Nothing more, nothing less.

If you really want to protect your teeth and prevent cavities, then eat the right kinds of foods - and problem solved!  Brush with a fluoride toothpaste - I have absolutely no problem with that - you can spit it out - that's fine!  But to put it in my water is just a bad idea!  Keep your kids away from sugar and junk food and let me have clean clear water.

I feel a folk song coming on...  

http://youtu.be/eceRvPx3wrs


This is indeed an important date - it is DICTIONARY DAY!!!!!!!!!  As I'm writing, my dictionary is never far away.  Do yourself a favor - learn a new word today.  Increase your vocabulary.
My new word is ephemeral, which means "to last a short time" - much like this blog post.  So...  bye!




    

   



No comments: