DISCLAIMER:

live with physical challenges.
I am NOT a DOCTOR!!! I don't even play one on TV!!! It is my goal to live a more healthy lifestyle. Living well and being happy is what this blog is all about.

"Nothing,' wrote Tolstoy, 'can make our life, or the lives of other people, more
beautiful than perpetual kindness."

- Gretchen Rubin




I write about my own experiences and what works (or does not) for me. Nothing I write is to be taken as medical advice.

Only your health care provider, personal physician,Disclaimer:
I am not a doctor - I don't even play one on TV! This
or pharmacist can provide you with advice on what is safe and effective for your unique needs.








Friday, October 26, 2012

Get Your Mind Made Up

 
You can’t build a reputation on what you’re going to do.  - Henry Ford
 
The key to success in anything is having a made up mind, and weight loss is no exception.  If you are seriously determined to change how you think about something, your chances of making a go of it are much better than if you walk into something half heartily or lacking a true passion or desire to change.

When it comes to food, one has to decide whether it is more food that is necessary, or better quality food.  For years I thought that eating anything I wanted, and as much as I wanted, was a recipe for good health.  Obviously, I was a bit flawed in my thinking.

So, if weight is to come off, thinking has to change toward the quantity of food I eat as well as the types of foods.  It's amazing how much food you can eat if you're eating a high quality of food.  Actually, quantity is not much of an issue if the food is quality.

For diabetics, it's important not to binge on food because it can play havoc with blood glucose, which messes with moods and makes you miserable.  I don't like feeling miserable - and I don't want to be a miserable person to live with or be around either.  I'm really very careful about going on the blood glucose roller coaster ride!

No food is actually forbidden in my book, because as soon as I make a rule not to eat something, that's what I'm going to want to binge on.  So, if I see a dessert, for example, it's not exactly taboo for me, but that's when the portion control has to be strictly enforced.  The lower quality the food, the less quantity I allow myself to have.  Also, at holiday time, the rule book is out the window.  I don't eat a whole pie, but I don't deny myself a small slice - with whipped topping, thank you very much!

So far that mindset seems to be working quite well.  As I get closer to my goal weight, it is not coming off as quickly as it did at first.  I don't know whether that is to be expected or if I need to increase activity or decrease calorie intake even further.  Perhaps both need to be tweaked a little bit.  I used to hear the older folk talk about how the older you get, the more difficult it is to lose weight.  Well, now I know what they meant.

I have noticed a difference in my energy level since I began eating better quality foods.  It seems as though my thought process has also gotten much clearer and my train of thought does not derail as often as it used to!

So it comes down to the mindset.  Mine is a matter of portion control when faced with lower quality foods.  For higher quality foods I give myself permission to eat more quantity. 

Enjoy this great song "I've Got My Mind Made Up" - !

http://youtu.be/fbeOLKuDtTg

Today is NATIONAL PUMPKIN DAY!!!!!!!!  Whether you spend the day out at the pumpkin patch with your little ones or in the kitchen whipping up some pumpkin goodies, keep in mind that the most important thing you can do is make memories with the ones you love!



 






 

No comments: