DISCLAIMER:

live with physical challenges.
I am NOT a DOCTOR!!! I don't even play one on TV!!! It is my goal to live a more healthy lifestyle. Living well and being happy is what this blog is all about.

"Nothing,' wrote Tolstoy, 'can make our life, or the lives of other people, more
beautiful than perpetual kindness."

- Gretchen Rubin




I write about my own experiences and what works (or does not) for me. Nothing I write is to be taken as medical advice.

Only your health care provider, personal physician,Disclaimer:
I am not a doctor - I don't even play one on TV! This
or pharmacist can provide you with advice on what is safe and effective for your unique needs.








Friday, September 21, 2012

Fellow Dyslexics, Untie

DYSLEXIA IS NOT A MENTAL ILLNESS

People with severe dyslexia (I call us dyslexians) can be brilliant.  The National Institutes have estimated that 15% of the world's population live with dyslexia.  Dyslexia is a consequence of the way a person’s brain is organized. Learning to read requires making the association between printed symbols and spoken words and spoken sounds. These associations must become firmly fixed in memory for reading to be fluent. People with dyslexia have great difficulty establishing these associations. The exact cause of the difference in the brain is not known, but recent research and new technology make it possible to identify some of the differences in the brains of people with dyslexia. Also, research suggests that dyslexia appears in families across generations. 

My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places.  ― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Neither reading nor writing come as second nature for me.  When I read, I sometimes have to re-read a paragraph several times in order to grasp a concept.  I don't always compose complete sentences that are cohesive and flow nicely. 

Like many dyslexians, I also twist the words within a sentence around.  "So, come on baby, let's do the twist"...  Today, I am absolutely addicted to the written word!  I love to read and cannot live a day without writing and expressing opinions and thoughts and feelings!  Written communication is a beautiful gift and it truly is what I love to do!  I still struggle with sentence structure and probably always will.  I still go through my blog posts and tweak away at them.  Writing may not come easily for me, but it is my passion.

  
Let the beauty of what you LOVE be what you do. - Rumi

I'm a work in progress, but today I love to write and feel blessed to have the opportunity to share my wellness journey with you.  Thanks for reading my blog!

Take a look at this entertaining video about dyslexia.

http://youtu.be/ik_pzXC1nA0

 

 Did you know that today is YELLOW UMBRELLA DAY???   What more can I say???  If you have a yellow umbrella, knock yourself out!!! 


 
 
 
 



        

No comments: