DISCLAIMER:

live with physical challenges.
I am NOT a DOCTOR!!! I don't even play one on TV!!! It is my goal to live a more healthy lifestyle. Living well and being happy is what this blog is all about.

"Nothing,' wrote Tolstoy, 'can make our life, or the lives of other people, more
beautiful than perpetual kindness."

- Gretchen Rubin




I write about my own experiences and what works (or does not) for me. Nothing I write is to be taken as medical advice.

Only your health care provider, personal physician,Disclaimer:
I am not a doctor - I don't even play one on TV! This
or pharmacist can provide you with advice on what is safe and effective for your unique needs.








Friday, March 22, 2013

Count the Sheep and Go to Sleep

 

What are the odds that I'm going to lift a finger to do any sort of research on a subject for this blog today?  You're right - pretty slim.  But don't stop reading - you might learn something today in spite of my lazy bone.  Today is Friday, March 22 and it also happens to be NATIONAL GOOF OFF DAY!!!!!!!!!!  I embrace these holidays with both arms and welcome them.

Just for fun, I asked the folks in the Dyslexic Diabetic facebook group what comes to mind when they hear the phrase "goof off".  I got some very unique and humorous responses:

Watching an episode of "Duck Dynasty".
It's Five O'clock Somewhere.
Goofy from Disney.

But I gotta tell ya, when I hear the phrase "goof off", I think of napping!  When I worked at the Savings and Loan downtown back in the 1980's, I can think of three different instances where people were caught napping at their work stations and sent home - fired!  There are definitely times when you want to fight that urge to take an after lunch snooze!  If you are working a job, it's probably a good idea to make sure you get plenty of sleep at night and eat a light lunch so you can stay alert for the rest of the day.  In this economy you sure don't wanna get canned!

But today...  I think a nap is definitely in my future.  I'm taking a look in the crystal ball and I can see it clear as day - me in my comfy bed - counting sheep and catching some zzzzz's!  Yep - it's definitely gonna happen!  Friday - goof off day - ah yeah, baby!  Bring on the sheep - I'm ready to count 'em!  Sheep n' sleep...  uh-huh!!!

There was a time when it was thought that burning the proverbial candle at both ends was the key to success.  That is no longer the case.  We now know that the key to success is a good night’s sleep!  So, turn off the computer, the TV (and your iphone) and start counting some sheep – and get some sleep!   
Have you ever wanted to have your very own “reset” button?  Getting good sleep is like pressing “reset” and allows your mind and body to rest and recharge so you can function at your very best each day.   There is a definite link between sleep, happiness and longevity.  People who get a good night’s sleep tend to avoid depression and actually live longer!   

Do you want a healthy heart?  Sleep on it!  Lack of sleep has been linked with worsening of blood pressure and cholesterol, all risk factors of heart disease and stroke.  Your heart will be healthier if you get between 7 and 9 hours of sleep each night.  Sleep interacts with arteries and makes them healthier - and healthier arteries mean a healthier heart! 

How much is clarity of thought worth to you?  Your brain will reward you if you treat it to a good night’s sleep.  You will think so much clearer and make better decisions because you won’t be groggy, foggy or slow.  Your memory will also be much better and clearer.  Would you like to think sharper and have a quick wit? That little bit of down time in the afternoon actually gives your brain an opportunity to recharge. It's like when a battery runs down and you have to plug it in to the outlet to get re-energized. Your brain needs just that little bit of sleep to help it recharge and see you through the rest of your day with more strength and energy. Your mood improves and you're better to work with and for!

Do you have problems facing another Monday?  Make sure on Sunday night, you get to bed at a decent hour!  You will awake with a refreshed and renewed sense of purpose and ready to face the week head-on.  Your mood will be great, because let’s face it, nobody wants to work with someone who drags into the workplace on Monday morning with a chip on their shoulder – all moody and negative from the get-go! 

What is one of the major components of overall energy?  That’s right – sleep!  When you get plenty of good sleep, you have boundless energy and perform better at work or school.

Do you want to reduce stress and depression?  Who doesn’t!  With a good night’s sleep, you begin to enjoy life again and frankly, others will appreciate and enjoy YOU more.

Did you know that dreaming actually helps your mind work through problems?  If you deny your mind the opportunity to do this, you will actually slow down your ability to be creative, not to mention the dangers of inhibited motor skills, which affects such things as driving a vehicle.

If none of this encourages you to hit the hay earlier – may I appeal to your vanity?  Have you heard the phrase “beauty rest”?  Yes, a good night’s sleep really does make you look and feel better!  It’s as simple as this:  If you are at your best, you know it and everyone around you knows it.
Do you want to be a winner?  Sleep is the magic bullet that separates the winners from the losers.  Improve your odds in life by getting enough sleep.   Sleep lowers stress, helps you achieve a healthy weight, sharpens your attention span and improves your overall sense of wellbeing.  Proper sleep allows your brain cells to renew and regenerate and recharge so you can function better.  Your body and mind will thank you a million times every day if you have gotten enough sleep the night before.

That nap this afternoon may be the best decision I make all day long!  With the list of benefits, I'm pretty sure that an afternoon nap will be my way of celebrating! 
 
Sleep is my friend - and it always will be. Sleep and I are together forever. So today, Friday, March 22, 2013, I will take a 30 minute nap! I will goof off! I can't think of a better gift to give my skin, brain or heart. What about you?

Napping is good for your heart with a 1/3 reduction in fatal heart attacks!!! That's HUGE! More companies should have NAP ROOMS... seriously!!!

http://youtu.be/Li2NPpdjyGA


 
 
I enjoy the poetry of Lucinda Berry Hill so much!  She has contributed the cutest poem in honor of National Goof Off Day!  I hope you enjoy it!  If you are enjoying her wonderful poetry here on the blog, I strongly encourage you to pick up her devotional book entitled, "Coffee With Jesus".  
 
 
For A Goof Off Sort of Day



When you wake up in the morning,
Start your day with prayer.
Then be a little goofy,
Spreading laughter everywhere.
Put on your favorite lounging pants.


It's good to be relaxed.


It's good to have a day of rest
When you're not feeling quite so taxed.
Show off your fun and flighty side.
Dance and sing a verse.
Tell a goofy joke or two
And laugh until it hurts.
 
Stick a feather in your bonnet.
Have some tricks tucked up your sleeve.
Be crazy, wild, and a little nutty.
It's good to have release.
Be a little whimsical.
Chill and laugh and play.
Be absolutely preposterous.


And have a goofy kind of day.


  

 

 

 










No comments: