DISCLAIMER:

live with physical challenges.
I am NOT a DOCTOR!!! I don't even play one on TV!!! It is my goal to live a more healthy lifestyle. Living well and being happy is what this blog is all about.

"Nothing,' wrote Tolstoy, 'can make our life, or the lives of other people, more
beautiful than perpetual kindness."

- Gretchen Rubin




I write about my own experiences and what works (or does not) for me. Nothing I write is to be taken as medical advice.

Only your health care provider, personal physician,Disclaimer:
I am not a doctor - I don't even play one on TV! This
or pharmacist can provide you with advice on what is safe and effective for your unique needs.








Sunday, February 17, 2013

Winter Hibernation

 
 
In spite of the fact that the groundhog indicated that we will have an early Spring this year, my body has been in a sort of Hibernation mode all Winter.  I have a feeling I'm not alone in that predicament.
 
It seems all I want to do is play on the computer or watch TV or something that exudes absolutely no energy whatsoever.  This is not the way to take off the rest of the weight I need to lose!  Today happens to be "Random Acts of Kindness Day".  I wonder if someone would act on my behalf and give me a swift kick in the seat of my pants?  Seriously
 
On top of everything else, we just had yet another "food" holiday a few days ago.  Valentine's Day and chocolate go hand in hand as far as I'm concerned.  If it's February 14th, I will have chocolate in some form or fashion! 

I understand the theory behind exercise - it's just difficult to get my feet to follow along.  I can tell myself all day long that I need to exercise - I need to move for a half hour - but until I actually get up and go do it, it's just talk and does me no good whatsoever.  Talk is cheap - put your money where your mouth is, right?
 
80 percent of success is showing up.  – Woody Allen
 
Then I begin to rationalize - that's always fun.  I begin to say things like, "Well, I went over to the mall and walked around and shopped" - or, "I didn't eat badly today so I really don't need to work out today, do I?"  Oh - I'm good at talking myself out of a workout! 
 
I'm good at two things:  Hibernation and rationalization!  I can be lazy and I can make an argument against exercise easier than breathing!
 
 
What I need desperately is some motivation.  There needs to be something just short of a cattle prod to get me doing the right thing!  I don't understand why it's so difficult to stay motivated.  I keep hearing it takes 21 days to create a habit - and I was doing quite well - far beyond the 3 weeks!  Then it seems like Winter hit and I quit!  What's with that?
 
Well - I say I quit - of course I don't believe in quitting.  I have just not been as consistent in my workouts as I really need to be.  That's probably a better way to describe it.  The food choices are really the easy part.  Exercise is where I'm having some trouble.  My inner lazy is in overdrive during the Winter!
 
I keep reading that if you find a workout partner it essentially "makes" you exercise because you show up for the other person.  Maybe it depends on who you choose, because I did that for a while with a girl and she kept begging off and more times than not, I ended up working out alone. 
 
A workout always feels so good - afterward.  You would think I could just tell myself how much better I'm going to feel and that would do the trick.  Some days that does work, but not every day.
 
Some people are motivated by reading fitness magazines.  I guess that just doesn't do much for me.  I tend to look at the photos and read the articles and say, "I'm never going to look like that - so why should I bother?" 
 
 
The one thing that I do try to tell myself is that exercise has proven to be the only real stress reliever for me.  I don't ever want to go back to eating junk food to deal with stress - !  That's counter-productive to be sure and adds insult to injury.  It's like punishing myself for being stressed.  I do try to remind myself of the benefit of exercise in dealing with stress.

On February 2, 2013, Punxsutawney Phil, the ground hog, did not see his shadow. Phil's prediction is that spring is just around the corner.  This only means one thing - I will not have many more days to use weather as an excuse for not going outside to walk! 
 
I can't beat myself up over what I did not do yesterday.  All I can do is look at today and do better, right?  So here we go - a new day is beginning and hopefully I'll do what I need to do!
 
How do you stay motivated???
 
 


Today is RANDOM ACTS OF KINDNESS DAY!!!!!!!!!  Find someone who really needs a boost and shower them with love and kindness today!!! 

 
 
 
 





 




     

     



     

     

No comments: