- The most important attribute for heart happiness is a positive attitude. If you have a glass and if it is half full, this is a great first step toward great heart health. I had a heart surgeon take me aside just before my husband went in for open heart surgery. She let me know that I should never shed any tears in front of him. She told me to be positive at all times when I'm with him. I've done my very best to do that. A positive attitude goes a long way.
- Have you heard the old saying, "Laughter is the best medicine"? Well, it turns out, laughter makes your blood flow more freely. There are also medications that heart patients take to help with that, but the best medicine is really a good belly laugh! I subscribe to a couple of websites that have funny clean jokes - and they send me a joke every day. I love to laugh - it's one of my favorite activities.
- If you want to instantly calm your nerves, hold hands with someone. A study two years ago by the U.K.-based charity Abbeyfield that found 80% of those surveyed associate holding hands with romance. Another study by University of California found that when women are touched by or even just see their significant other, it has an anesthetizing affect and actually reduces pain.
- Seeing that person that your heart goes crazy for can give your heart a workout. I'm not sure that can be compared to a half hour workout on a treadmill, but it certainly can be said that it makes your heart very happy.
- When was the last time you wrote a love letter? Yes, those happy thoughts you put into that little letter release endorphins and cause you to get chills up and down your spine. This makes your heart sing and it can also lower your LDL cholesterol. Want some endorphins and butterflies??? Write your significant other a love letter. Endorphins - I call them endolphins (it's a moment from one of my favorite movies "Postcards From the Edge").
- Are you familiar with the term "hug it out"? Well, as it happens, hugging it out releases oxytocin and removes stress from the body. These are good things - so hug your favorite person today. You could go hug your worst enemy too. Would that leave them confused, or what???
- Do you know why so many older people suffer with high blood pressure? You may say it's due to poor diet or lack of exercise, and in part that may be true. Most older Americans are completely alone much of the time and as a result they have higher blood pressure. Loneliness is the single worst contributor to high blood pressure. There are studies backing up evidence that spending a significant amount of time with a loved one helps lower their blood pressure. I'll tell you a little secret: It probably lowers yours too! Human beings were created for relationships. Enjoy your loved ones just as often as you can.
Are you following your joy?
Today is TENNIS DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!! In my neck of the woods, it's a little chilly to be out playing tennis yet, but if you know a great tennis player, today would be a wonderful opportunity to contact him/her and let them know you're thinking of them on this day!