DISCLAIMER:

live with physical challenges.
I am NOT a DOCTOR!!! I don't even play one on TV!!! It is my goal to live a more healthy lifestyle. Living well and being happy is what this blog is all about.

"Nothing,' wrote Tolstoy, 'can make our life, or the lives of other people, more
beautiful than perpetual kindness."

- Gretchen Rubin




I write about my own experiences and what works (or does not) for me. Nothing I write is to be taken as medical advice.

Only your health care provider, personal physician,Disclaimer:
I am not a doctor - I don't even play one on TV! This
or pharmacist can provide you with advice on what is safe and effective for your unique needs.








Thursday, January 10, 2013

The Vulnerable Diabetic

 
Math is the only place where I hear someone doing ridiculous things.  For example, John has 30 candy bars and eats 23.  What does John have now?  Well, John probably has Type 2 Diabetes.

Yesterday I suffered what some may consider a setback, but I choose to view as a great victory.  I overcame the temptation to consume a large amount of chocolate at one time.  Should the chocolate be in my house?  Yes.  Why?  It's a test.  I have to know that I can resist temptation.  How am I going to know if I can if the temptation is not before me?  The box of chocolates stays.

Emotional eating is part of the reason I lost my health.  It's taken a long time to get it under control, and to be honest, yesterday I was not sure it really was under control.  I was depressed.  I walked into the kitchen and looked at the box of candy.  I used every coping skill I've learned.  I actually touched the box, which I've not done before.  I thought it was over and I'd eat them.  Then I had one thought pop into my mind:  "If I eat these, is it going to change my situation?  Is it going to make anything better in my life?"  The answer was "no". 

Temptations, when we meet them at first, are as the lion that roared upon Samson; but if we overcome them, the next time we see them we shall find a nest of honey within them.  - John Bunyan  

I walked away.  I WALKED AWAY!!!  That is such a feeling of power and freedom!!!  That box of chocolates lost its hold on me - it no longer beckoned to me. 

I'd really like to get to the point where I can open the box and eat one - just one - every day.  That's what normal people do.  I'm not sure why I have this "all or nothing" mindset, but I do.  It's like, if I open the box - I will lose control and the chocolates will be eaten - all in one day!  This not only would affect me physically, but mentally as well. 

I've prayed about this desire to consume entire packages of chocolate.  I've read books, listened to lectures, talked with friends about it.  I wish I understood the driving force behind it.  Understanding anything makes it easier to deal with. 

But...  yesterday - I walked away.  I worked through my depression with exercise.  I rode my stationary bike.  I must say, it improved my overall outlook and my blood sugar remained happy.  The box of Valentine chocolates remains intact today.  I was victorious - and that makes me very happy!

Some folks would be quick to tell me to go on some anti-depressant or treat this medically.  I do not have a desire to take one more pill - and I want to have power over this in my mind.  I'm not saying that medication is not the right course of action for others, but I am saying that I don't believe it to be right for me. 

Type 2 Diabetes is caused by melancholy.

This is the demon I fight.  We all have them - but the way we choose to overcome them is important.  I have to get a handle on this one before it steals not only my joy - but my health as well.  I can't let that happen.  These days, at least I'm engaging in some logical thought process before just mindlessly digging in to food! 

Depression is going to happen once in a while.  I have to realize that there are options available to me when it hits that do not include chocolate.  Yesterday I chose a healthy option and it was a huge victory!  Today is a new day and I'm empowered to make more healthy choices!  I can do this!


Diabetes and depression.

http://youtu.be/pm4aZ0vJiBw



Hey!  Today is HOUSEPLANT APPRECIATION DAY!!!  I'll be honest, the only way I can possibly appreciate a houseplant is to leave it at the store and let someone buy it who won't actually kill it!  But if you have been blessed with a green thumb and have lovely houseplants in your home, take a moment to appreciate them today! 


No comments: