DISCLAIMER:

live with physical challenges.
I am NOT a DOCTOR!!! I don't even play one on TV!!! It is my goal to live a more healthy lifestyle. Living well and being happy is what this blog is all about.

"Nothing,' wrote Tolstoy, 'can make our life, or the lives of other people, more
beautiful than perpetual kindness."

- Gretchen Rubin




I write about my own experiences and what works (or does not) for me. Nothing I write is to be taken as medical advice.

Only your health care provider, personal physician,Disclaimer:
I am not a doctor - I don't even play one on TV! This
or pharmacist can provide you with advice on what is safe and effective for your unique needs.








Friday, November 23, 2012

The Best Walk of the Season

Today I enjoyed the most wonderful walk!  The weather was perfect this afternoon, cool and crisp yet warm enough to be comfortable.  If I had to tell you one aspect of my new lifestyle that I am so glad I have incorporated into a regular habit, it would be the habit of my daily walk around my neighborhood - and Autumn is my favorite time of year!  The biggest challenge this year is deciding how many layers to wear - our temperatures have gone from one extreme to another it seems!  Each new day has its own set of surprises!

It is recommended that we exercise a total of 30 minutes every day.  I have neuropathy, so the idea of walking the entire half hour at once is some days daunting, to say the least.  There are days when I can do 3-ten minute segments, but it still counts!  That's the beautiful thing about exercise - you do not have to knock yourself out for it to count!  Just do what you can - that's all there is to it!

I also own a stationary bike and a treadmill, but as long as the weather is cooperative, I prefer to walk outdoors.  There are many different options when it comes to exercise, and I'm the kind of person who needs a little bit of variety once in a while - I do not like to get bored.  When I begin to feel as though I'm in a rut - that's when I tend to want to quit.

Some friends of mine enjoy jogging, and there was a time before my neuropathy got so bad, I would have gladly gone for a jog!  For now, however, I'm happy with a stroll or to ride my stationary bike. 

Other friends enjoy workout DVD's.  In the Winter especially, I enjoy working out with DVD's once in a while. 

If you like to dance - by all means - go for it!  Dancing can burn a lot of calories, even in as little as ten minutes!  If you can drag your significant other out on the dance floor, then that's twice the fun!

You really do not have to spend a lot of money on a gym membership in order to take care of yourself.  There are some very creative ways to exercise in the privacy of your own home.  If you like the idea of getting out among other people and doing some socializing, then maybe a gym membership would benefit you.

There are two main keys that make exercise effective.

1.  Be Consistent!  Whatever exercise you choose - or if you choose variety like I do - do something every day!  Just move - on purpose!

2.  Partner Up!  Studies have shown that people who have an exercise partner tend to stick with their routine longer than those who do not have a partner.  The odds of you staying consistent in your exercise may be hinged directly on having a partner.  If you're like me and are definitely on your own, then do what I did - join a support group and be accountable to the people in that group!  When I walk - then I tell my group that I walked.  There's always someone there with a comment like, "Way to go" or "Good job" - !  And those positive comments really go a long way!

Of all the things I have to be thankful for, I am most grateful that after 20 years I can still take my daily walk around the neighborhood - even if it is with a cane!

Now, enjoy one of my favorite "walking" songs ever - "Walking In Memphis."

http://youtu.be/2-qQrrCad_E

No comments: