DISCLAIMER:

live with physical challenges.
I am NOT a DOCTOR!!! I don't even play one on TV!!! It is my goal to live a more healthy lifestyle. Living well and being happy is what this blog is all about.

"Nothing,' wrote Tolstoy, 'can make our life, or the lives of other people, more
beautiful than perpetual kindness."

- Gretchen Rubin




I write about my own experiences and what works (or does not) for me. Nothing I write is to be taken as medical advice.

Only your health care provider, personal physician,Disclaimer:
I am not a doctor - I don't even play one on TV! This
or pharmacist can provide you with advice on what is safe and effective for your unique needs.








Monday, October 22, 2012

Fall's Finest Foods

Autumn, the year's last, loveliest smile.  - William Cullen Bryant

As I moved all of my Fall/Winter clothing hanging from the top clothing rods of my closet to the more accessible bottom rods, my thoughts turned to all of the great foods which naturally compliment the colors and textures associated with Autumn.  While it is easier to eat a more healthy diet in the Spring and Summer months, and it is certainly easier to get outside and exercise, the coming months do not have to play havoc with your weight loss/maintenance routine. 

There are just as many beneficial foods to be enjoyed in cooler weather, and there are creative ways in which the exercise may be incorporated as well.  I believe the old adage, "Where there's a will, there's a way."  We prioritize what matters most to us, don't we?

If I had to choose my favorite food for Fall, it would be a three-way tie for first place.  I like apples year-around, but my seasonal favorites are pumpkin and cranberries.  I also like to fix acorn squash once in a while for lunch.  It's quick and easy to fix - just cut it in two, scoop it out and put some butter inside  and microwave for a few minutes.  I like easy preparation - easy works for me.

This is definitely an acquired taste - (not everyone will agree with this) - but I like to put a little pumpkin in my oatmeal.  Yes, you heard me correctly.  I put just a little pumpkin in it along with some stevia and butter and a little cinnamon (and chopped pecans if I have them).  Don't knock it until you're tried it!  It's really a very good variation from plain old oatmeal.  Oh, stop wrinkling up your face at me - it's good - I promise!

In my humble opinion, cranberries are a necessity with turkey and dressing at Thanksgiving!  I don't care if you forget any other side dish, you'd better not forget the cranberries!  Cranberries and turkey go together like...  I don't know - shoes and socks.  They just compliment one another beautifully.

Just because you're a diabetic does not mean you can no longer relish good quality food.  As my wise diabetic educator friend says, "You can have anything you want - you just cannot have it all in one day."

Try to experiment this Autumn with all the wonderful foods available.  I enjoy foods that have a lot of cinnamon and cloves in them because those are the scents that really remind me that Mother Nature is gearing up for some chilly evenings ahead.  It's time to break out the crock pot and make some spicy hot apple cider or orange spiced tea.  Then relax, wrap up in your favorite quilt with one of your favorite novels. 

There is no sincerer love than the love of food.   - George Bernard Shaw

One of my favorite muppets is the Swedish Chef!  Enjoy the Swedish Chef carving pumpkins!
 
http://youtu.be/2Qj8PhxSnhg

It's time to celebrate the humble nut!  Today is NATIONAL NUT DAY!!!!!!!!!  From all the information I've read, I gather that walnuts are among the most healthy nuts to eat, followed by...  CAPTAIN PISTACHIO!!!!!!!!!!  You do not have to be a squirrel to enjoy these wonderful little snacks!
 
 
 












   



No comments: