DISCLAIMER:

live with physical challenges.
I am NOT a DOCTOR!!! I don't even play one on TV!!! It is my goal to live a more healthy lifestyle. Living well and being happy is what this blog is all about.

"Nothing,' wrote Tolstoy, 'can make our life, or the lives of other people, more
beautiful than perpetual kindness."

- Gretchen Rubin




I write about my own experiences and what works (or does not) for me. Nothing I write is to be taken as medical advice.

Only your health care provider, personal physician,Disclaimer:
I am not a doctor - I don't even play one on TV! This
or pharmacist can provide you with advice on what is safe and effective for your unique needs.








Friday, September 7, 2012

Why I Love the Low

 
“When one has tasted watermelon he knows what the angels eat” - Mark Twain

There are folks who would take this treat for granted, but I do not!  When I have watermelon in the late Summer, it's because I'm suffering from low blood glucose.  It doesn't happen very often, but it did happen to me today. 


This morning I met my friend to discuss the challenges of life over a cup of coffee.  As I was driving home I had the all-too familiar symptoms - the "creepy" feeling, like I had a touch of the flu.  Shaky and weak, I knew I had to get home very quickly.  I was still able to drive and I didn't have that far to go - but there was no question the car had to go straight home.

Once in the door I immediately checked my blood sugar and as my body had indicated, it was quite low.  It was a whopping 70.  My immediate thought was, "Oh goody - I get watermelon today!"  What a thought, huh?

A few thoughts about watermelon.  Before I eat watermelon or anything that is pure sugar, I eat a small piece of protein.  I always have some low-fat string cheese on hand to pair with fruit.  Always eat protein first. 

I love the taste of watermelon, but do not like to fight with the seeds and have never been a huge fan of seed-spitting contests, so I prefer to get the smaller, seedless variety.  It's personal preference.  If you enjoy spitting seeds at other people, go for it.  It's still a free country.

I don't mess with any sort of fancy preparation.  Whack a small wedge and chow down!  Portion control is key since the watermelon will most assuredly raise your blood glucose, which (duh), is what we want.  When it comes to watermelon use caution because a little dab really will do ya.  If you eat too much it will make your blood sugar go too high and that's a whole new issue.

If I had needed to drive further, I would have popped a glucose tablet.  I keep them in my purse at all times for emergencies.  But as I said, I don't have lows very often so when I do have them, I like to take full advantage of the opportunity and eat watermelon.  Watermelon is the one food that I miss eating in the Summer.  When I have a low - then...  look out - here I come!

Make the most of your lows - have some fun with it!  Isn't that what life is all about anyhow?  Enjoy your day!

Please take a look at my article, "Keep Your Chin Up and Your Arsenal Well Stocked".  
 
http://ezinearticles.com/?Keep-Your-Chin-Up-And-Your-Arsenal-Well-Stocked!&id=7162024


Today is NEITHER RAIN NOR SNOW DAY!!!!!!!!!!  It's a salute to the Pony Express. 


Neither snow nor rain

Nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers
















No comments: