DISCLAIMER:

live with physical challenges.
I am NOT a DOCTOR!!! I don't even play one on TV!!! It is my goal to live a more healthy lifestyle. Living well and being happy is what this blog is all about.

"Nothing,' wrote Tolstoy, 'can make our life, or the lives of other people, more
beautiful than perpetual kindness."

- Gretchen Rubin




I write about my own experiences and what works (or does not) for me. Nothing I write is to be taken as medical advice.

Only your health care provider, personal physician,Disclaimer:
I am not a doctor - I don't even play one on TV! This
or pharmacist can provide you with advice on what is safe and effective for your unique needs.








Saturday, September 29, 2012

Mutual Valuing Through Communication

Communication leads to community, that is, to understanding, intimacy and mutual valuing.  - Rollo May

 
Hold on to your hats - I have news that will shock you!  I love to talk, type and teach!  Communication is the bomb!  I see your jaws dropping in disbelief, but it's true.  I was asked one time during a job interview what my passion was, and I replied, "I love communication of all kinds!"   

Some of the most gratifying moments of my life were spent communicating.  I taught piano lessons for many years.  When that spark lights up in a student's eyes after mastering a complex concept, that is priceless!  To have the opportunity to clearly explain the basic outline of music, and later color it in with technique and individual style - it's been such a blessing to me through the years. 

The most important thing in communication is hearing what isn't said. 
- Peter Drucker

To be heard - to be validated by another person is the most important key in any form of communication.  The lost art of listening to a friend who is going through a rough patch is vital.  Even when texting, it's important to wait after sending your comment.  Give the recipient ample time to read and digest what you've written.  Give them enough time to text back.  Some folks send one reply - then reply to what they just texted instead of the conversation following the natural "give and take" flow.  Half the time when that happens, the other person has to erase what they have texted as a reply and start over because the subject has changed!   

When I'm experiencing a bad day, it means so much to see a post that says "I'm praying" or "take care" or "tomorrow's a new day" or "you can do anything you set your mind to doing"!  I don't know why, but it just makes everything better.  It's easy to think (and ultimately believe) you are stuck in a situation all alone.  I know as a Christian I should never feel that way, but as a human being, the fact is, I do feel that way sometimes. 

Encouragement is highly under rated and under valued!

There's a saying - "Bloom where you're planted" which indicates that no matter where you are, what the circumstances may be, and whether you are in perfect health or not so perfect health - you have the capability to become great!  There are times when we need to be reminded of that truth once in a while.  These truths have to be hammered in once again.  My nails of truth have a way of wiggling halfway out, and it's nice when a friend comes along to hammer those nails back in for me!    

Effective communication is 20% what you know and 80% how you feel about what you know.  - Jim Rohn

I'm not for one minute suggesting we should be fake or pretend to care if we don't.  I'd rather not hear from a person if it is not genuine.  When I'm chatting with someone who has recently lost a loved one, I'd better make sure I'm fully engaged in the conversation and that my input is useful, respectful and above all, sincere and genuine.  There is not a more important time to have great communication skills than when you are speaking with a grief-stricken individual.  There are right words to say at a time like that - and there are wrong words that are said all too often.  Words matter the most after the loss of a loved one.  Words have meaning - words carry power and they matter.

There are days when the odds seem absolutely overwhelming!  I've come to trust two things in times like those:  I trust the LORD to lead me onward, and I trust my friends to add their prayers, positive thoughts and encouragement.  

Communication is so crucial for all of us.  With such a negative atmosphere around us in the political arena and world events, how important are words of kindness, love and encouragement to you? 

Take advantage of every opportunity to practice your communication skills so that when important occasions arise, you will have the gift, the style, the sharpness, the clarity, and the emotions to affect other people.  - Jim Rohn

Here's a new take on the old Abbot & Costello routine "Who's On First".  Pretty funny!  This brings the importance of good communication skills home!

http://youtu.be/YbVhN5VBy-k

If you're a bluegrass fan (even if you aren't) this is a really cute tune called "Social Media Blues".  It'll put a smile on your face!

http://youtu.be/9T37q9Lx6sw


Today is CONFUCIUS DAY!!!!!!!!!!!  Words of wisdom to be sure will come your way today.





Somebody pass me the Stevia and the half and half, because today is NATIONAL COFFEE DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I am the one who has a vanity plate on my car that says JAVA4ME - I mean, this holiday was made just for me!!!   Have a great day - I know I will!

  

 
 

No comments: